Sins of The Past

Neytiri

I never thought I would feel at ease in Cassian's care, but for once I do. As I walk around the property of the villa, the sun still doesn't bother me. The higher it rises in the sky, the more chill I release onto my skin. Even the heat of the sand no longer affects me as I make my way along the shoreline. The process of cooling myself down comes naturally to me.

I hold my hand out in front of me, a smile on my lips as the emblems on my arm begins to glow, just as a small flurry appears above my palm. My power began to manifest itself like this when I was a child. And now, I have full control over myself once again. Cassian was telling the truth about keeping my power at bay. He only did so to protect the inhabitants of Brineau. Since arriving here, he has released his hold giving me full control of myself. On the surface, it makes me happy, but I know it truly means my power is dangerous to those on Brineau.

Cassian has also kept his distance since arriving here, only seeking me out to eat and train. Training consists of learning to control my internalized temperature and continuing to educate myself on the world. While on Brineau this was something I did with Caius, but Cassian was right. He is my husband, not Caius. I must learn to be comfortable with him even after the atrocities I suffered at his hand. I must do this so both of our people can prosper. I am no longer a naive Ikniri. My powers as an ancient have manifested themselves and it is time for me to begin learning my place among my people and Cassian's.

Even if I couldn't avoid my destiny, I must at least honor my family's memory by not letting their deaths be in vain. We must forge a new way, especially with the looming threat of humanity to our safety. My mind shifts to Cassian's words only days ago. He wants to bridge the hatred between our people. And he wants me to help him do it.

I release a frustrated breath making my way back into the villa in search of Cassian. I came out to get some fresh air and clear my head, but the more I think of how history has affected our people, the more helpless I feel. The sooner Cassian and I resolve our issues with each other, the sooner we can get on with our respective roles.

The villa itself is spacious enough that I can walk from the beach to the porch and slide open the glass to enter. Cassian says it is a part of modern luxury having a pool on the other side when there's an ocean just outside, but it still doesn't make sense to me. The halls have grown familiar to me over the past few days so I maneuver easily to Cassian's office. The door is closed. Cassian made it clear that I am free to enter whenever I want, but this is the first time I've decided to take him up on his offer.

I place my hand on the knob, pushing the door open.

Cassian sits behind his desk looking more like a modern man than ever. His head is lowered as he studies the papers on his desk, his brow furrowed in frustration. The wall behind him is glass like the walls outside giving a view to the other side of the island that peaks out. I can see the mountains in the distance that Cassian spoke of for his people. The light casts a bright glow behind him giving me the opportunity to study him as I approach. He's very handsome in his solid-colored shirt. Cassian looks up at me as I approach, a smile gracing his lips.

"Did studying lose your interest?"

I cringe at the language he chose today.

English.

It's my least favorite of the languages, but Cassian forces me to speak it with him to learn fluently. He says it's a universal language.

"Yes," I say in response to his question. He laughs softly at my tone, lowering his gaze back to the papers. His focus gauges my curiosity and I make my way around his desk, my eyes focused on the papers as well. They're made up of charts and graphs, but the names and percentages attached to them mean nothing to me. Cassian notices my focus, leaning back in his seat as he focuses on me.