Just Us

Neytiri

When I was a child, an exceptional group of Ikniri were chosen by my father to go out and help villages in need. When they returned, their stories of the world outside of our own were the height of the village. I recall specifically someone telling me of the lands settled along the sea. They said the entire ocean was filled with salt. It was one of the stories that would bring chills to my arms just to hear of these magnificent places.

And now I stand in the presence of the ocean myself. And just as my people told me, it is magnificent. The villa we're staying in has foreign stone architecture as part of its structure. In some places, the entire wall is glass. It's beautiful, adding to my wonder. I've only ever seen the huts and castles of my time period. Even upon awakening, I haven't left Cassian's estate. And now that I have, I am seeing parts of the world that I never thought possible.

I silently make my way to the window that overlooks the shore. The landscape may be beautiful, but it's exhausting just being here. Growing up in the forests, the weather was constantly warm and humid. The heat never bothered me until I began to regain my power and memory. In some ways, I'm glad my memory was tampered with. The heat is a constant war on my body. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it's a constant battle to remain upright. On Brineau the weather was fueling my power. Here, however, it is draining me.

I feel a strange sensation at the back of my mind and I know instinctively it is Cassian through the blood oath we share. I turn away from the window and sure enough, Cassian's footsteps sound as he makes his way down the stairs. I watch silently as he appears through the arch, his expression unreadable. Just being in his presence makes me shiver in fear. His silent threat on the plane was terrifying. Even more so after the meaning behind his words.

It doesn't matter what happened in our past. Not anymore.

The blood oath allows him to impose his will on me at any given moment. Unfortunately, I am not powerful enough to do so in return. Not even if he gave me back my power. Cassian is a full-fledged ancient who awakened his power long before we met. I, however, only awakened mine months before my "death". And even still, it's a mystery how they kept me alive for so long.

"How are you settling in?"

Cassian watches me cautiously as he approaches and I shrug.

"As best I can in such conditions," I murmur.

Cassian chuckles stepping past me to take in the scenery.

"I know it's not ideal, but being so near to your people was beginning to affect you. It's better if we're here and your power is weakened."

Cassian turns to face me, holding his hand out. And although I want to fight him and be stubborn, I know it isn't in my best interest. Not after what he showed me on the plane. I am his partner. I cannot keep throwing fits and losing control. I gently place my hand in his meeting his gaze.

His hand is warm. Warmer than the average human. I study our grasp intensely taking in the stark contrast of our bodies. My skin against his, my markings compared to his, and my natural body temperature. We are completely opposite in every way. And yet, both of our fathers were considering marriage between us. I was too young to speak to my father about it at the time, but I wonder what his thoughts were. Did they see something that our people had yet to see between our races?

When I look into Cassian's his eyes hold no malice as he looks at me with a tender expression.

"How long will we remain here?" I ask.

Cassian's hand closes around mine.

"As long as it takes to get you under control of your own body. I'll be flying your doctor out every two weeks to continue monitoring your body while we continue training."