Mysterious Truths

Neytiri

The darkness that suffocates me is overwhelming. I don't know who I am or what I could do to pull myself out of this. There's only darkness. It is the only comfort. I hear a name but it means nothing to me. I try and remember how I got here or rather, who I was before the darkness claimed me. But I have no such luck. The pull is too strong. It takes hold of my arms and legs, not allowing me to move within its shade.

All I can do is succumb to it until it has had its fill of me.

"Neytiri, stop!"

I hear a name. Is it my name? Strangely, it means nothing to me. But it sounds desperate.

Before I have more time to contemplate it, an unbearable heat washes over my body. It immediately rips me from the darkness, my head clearing as the world snaps back into place. But the heat doesn't stop. It scorches me until all I can do is scream in pain.

* * * * *

"Neytiri!"

My name sounds muffled as the ringing in my ears slowly dies down. I hear footsteps coming quickly toward me, but I cannot move. My body feels weak and heavy. It takes me a moment to realize what is going on around me. I am in the forest, but I don't know where or how I got here. I don't remember anything past Cassian's conversation with me. The last thing he told me before my world went dark was that he cared for my recovery.

The loud crunch of footsteps finally reaches me, and I feel hands under my body as I'm lifted out of the snow. I look up to see Caius holding me. He's looking down at me with a terrified expression.

"What happened?"

My voice comes out in a weak whisper and if Caius hears me, he doesn't say anything. I try and recall my own memories, but I can't. The darkness that once took hold of me is slowly drifting away, and I feel myself coming in control of my body. As much as I want to ask him what happened and where Cassian is, I decide to keep it to myself as he carries me back to the estate.

* * * * *

"Neytiri."

I slowly open my eyes at the sound of my name. I'm in a different room that I don't recognize as the one I stayed in. It takes a moment, but I finally sense the presence next to me. I slowly turn my head to see Cassian. I haven't seen him since that night I awoke in the forest. Caius refused to tell me about him and his whereabouts, but now here he sits in front of me, seeming unharmed. But he does seem tired.

He's watching me with a cautious expression, a small frown on his lips as he studies me intensely. He gently reaches for my face, his hand hovering slightly before he places his thumb against my forehead, gently rubbing in a comforting rhythm.

"What happened?" I ask. I can see him debating on if he should tell me the truth or not.

"I don't know, exactly."

His dark gaze meets mine and my mind feels faint as memories from my childhood intermingle with memories from adulthood. The same eyes that watched over me with kindness and care grew to hate me in the future. Cassian notices the state of my mind.

"I need you to stay calm, ok? Or everyone here will be in danger." His voice is soft as he speaks. His words slowly sink in and I watch him in shock.

"In danger... of me?" I whisper. He nods his head grimly, slowly sitting up in the chair next to the bed. He watches me cautiously as he opens the coat he wears, revealing his chest. My eyes widen in shock at the gruesome bruising. He doesn't speak allowing me to take it all in. It looks much worse than the day I awoke which is very unusual seeing as Cassian is a Dragonborn that has been alive for centuries. He should have healed long ago.