Attacked

Neytiri

I thought this island would confine who I am. But it has helped me in not only rediscovering myself but embracing my power without fear. It comes as second nature now that the blocks in my mind have been removed, and Cassian no longer holds control over the blood oath. Now that I have grown in strength, we are equals.

"I see Cassian taught you to internalize."

Caius gestures to the frost releasing from the top layer of my skin with a smile. Since Cassian's departure, we've been training together daily. When I was brought to Cassian by Loris, Caius trained me at the time as well. It feels nostalgic to be able to do this with him once again.

I look down at my palm, clenching my fist as my veins fill with ice. I definitely have more control than I ever did in the past. I watch Caius with a grin, focusing on the air around me. The moisture in the air is tangible on this island because of the humidity. I release my power and the moisture in the air freezes, forming ice crystals.

Caius's eyes widen in shock as he stares at the suspended crystals.

"That's not all he taught me," I smile.

I lower my hands, letting the crystal turn to fog as it disappears into the atmosphere. Caius shakes his head in disbelief, making his way toward me. He watches me with a pleased expression.

"You've really gotten powerful since being here."

A smile forms on my lips from his words. I was once so frightened at everything, including losing control. But I finally feel like I have a grasp on my situation and how to move forward with it. I hope that once Cassian returns, he will allow me to see my people. Caius speaks highly of them and the society they've built over the centuries. I'm excited to see them not as a refugee running from someone, but as their queen who is ready to take her place among them.

* * * * *

I silently make my way down the steps of the villa. Night has fallen over the island. Caius and I spent most of the day training, retiring to go our separate ways when the afternoon settled in. I spent it returning to studies, only emerging hours later after taking a shower. I hear Caius rummaging around in the kitchen, rounding the corner to see him finishing up setting the table.

"What's this?" I ask looking at the spread.

"I can make you dinner as well, Neytiri," Caius says smiling.

I take a seat, watching him as he moves around the kitchen.

"The medical team is en route to the island for your checkup. If your levels are normal, it may mean visiting the village when Cassian returns."

I perk up at his words, excitement flowing through me. Things seem almost too good to be true at the moment. But for the time being, I just have to enjoy it as it is, taking it one day at a time.

"Has Cassian ever visited the village?" I ask.

Caius makes a face, shaking his head.

"No. Cassian has never set foot in the village. Anything they need or he needs goes through me."

"And no Ikniri go to the Dragonborn village?" I ask.

Once again, Caius shakes his head.

"Tension still exists between the two."

Caius takes in my expression, offering me a smile.

"Both sides have a painful and broken past, Neytiri. Most Ikniri are frightened to even approach Cassian. But once they see you and him together, I'm sure things will work out among the tribes."