Comfort

Cassian

Fate is cruel. And if you deviate from its plan in the slightest, it will punish you in unimaginable ways as it did to Neytiri and me. I silently look down at her sleeping form in my arms as we make our way back to the villa. We haven't been to the villa in days. She enjoys the old way of life much more than the luxury I've tried to provide to her.

Her revelation at the campsite is one that brings chills to my flesh. We were connected from the very beginning without knowing it. The day of the ball is when my father tried to speak to me about the marriage. He did on more than one occasion, and when I left the ballroom to put Aurora to sleep, he said he needed to discuss something with me when I returned. After all this time I finally know that it was the union between Neytiri and me.

At the time my heart was set on Hynden, but I would have married Neytiri for the sake of peace and my people. My father saw something in a marriage that I did not. And now the thoughts plague me of what could have been had we followed through with our duties. Unfortunately, Neytiri's people opposed fate, specifically her brothers. And as such, they were punished cruelly for it. But I see things much more clearly now. We must make this work between us, and I must honor my father's last wish as king. I will make this work no matter what.

I take note that the lights are on in the villa. Only a few people have access, but as I make my way up the stairs, it doesn't take me long to sense who it is. Caius opens the door. He bows slightly as I pass, making my way to Neytiri's room. I sent him to the mainland weeks ago on business. But since he is here physically, I know the news can't be good.

Neytiri doesn't stir as I lay her in the bed. She's probably exhausted from not only overexerting her power but from crying. Her breathing is deep and her skin warm meaning she is no longer internalizing her temperature. I inhale a deep breath, gently rubbing my knuckles against her cheek. Our fates were intertwined from the moment she was born. Crossbreeding is something that wasn't heard of among the Ancients. But my father was a wise ruler. I trust his judgment. And for some reason, her father did as well.

I smile as I study her.

"How much different our lives would have been if we weren't set on this path."

After a while, I force myself to leave her side and face whatever news Caius has brought back for me. I make my way to my office where Caius is waiting. Once again, he bows as I pass and I take a seat.

"What do you have for me?"

Just as I suspected, Caius hesitates slightly before taking a deep breath.

"Most of the doctors that left the island have returned to normal lives."

I immediately notice his use of the word "most".

"The doctor she killed was sending information to an encrypted account on the mainland."

Anger rips through me and I smash my hands down on the desk, standing.

"What!" I hiss.

Caius takes a step back watching me carefully. Before he was Neytiri's, he was my Xindrite and right-hand man. He is familiar with my temper.

"I went through his personal belongings and was able to locate the computer. Unfortunately, someone else had access to it. Someone that has downloaded all of the data. I currently have my team tracing the digital trail, but whoever this is came to the island with the intention of stealing information. They were very prepared."

"Fuck," I murmur looking out the window. I inhale slowly, trying to calm myself but it feels mundane.

Someone very important has access to information which is bad for us. My gaze shifts to my calendar on the wall.