A Gentle Reminder

Neytiri

A deep rumble fills my senses, pulling me awake. I recognize the rumble. It's a growl, the same growl that belongs to Tikaani. It's the same growl I heard the day my village was destroyed before my mother came bursting through the doors to pull me away from my home forever.

My eyes fly open, my heart racing as I scan the room. My power fills my body, settling at my fingertips ready to strike if necessary. Tikaani is at the foot of the bed, his hackles raised as he growls at the intruder. I follow the direction of his anger to find Cassian standing in the doorway. His dark gaze meets mine, forcing my senses on high alert. I know it's Cassian who stands in the doorway, but for some reason, my body won't recognize it. My body clings to the fear that woke me from my slumber.

"T-Tikaani," I whisper his name, hoping he'll stand down. But he doesn't. His growl grows and he takes a threatening step in Cassian's direction. I squeeze my eyes shut, letting my panic surface.

"Tikaani, Vit!" I scream.

Thankfully, he senses the distress in my tone, his whine filling the air as he comes to where I am in the bed, laying his head on the edge. He places his head under my hand, forcing my fingers atop his head as he watches me in concern. I gently run my fingers through his thick fur, focusing on the soft texture as I breathe through my panic. I am not in my village and Cassian isn't attacking. All of that has happened and it is in the past. Each of us has paid a heavy debt for our family's mistakes. We have moved on.

I lift my gaze as Cassian steps into the room, a soft smile on his lips. He studies Tikaani as he takes a seat on the edge of the bed.

"I see you found your friend," he says eyeing Tikaani.

I look watch Tikaani as I speak.

"Wolves are more than just friends. They are family. They are chosen by each of us and they protect us in battle," I say softly as I recall Tikaani disappearing on the day of the attack to protect us as we escaped.

"I guess that explains why he never left your side for the first part of your slumber. Luckily he trusted Caius enough when it was time to move you. He's been with Caius ever since."

I smile softly, shifting my gaze to Cassian.

On the outside, he looks content, but I can sense the lurking sadness beneath. I can't tell specifically what that sadness is for, and he never tells me when I ask outright.

"How are you feeling after everything?" he asks.

I haven't thought about how I've been feeling in all of this time. I feel overwhelmed with all of the information and happy that my people are alive and well. But these feelings are overshadowed by the threat that hangs over our heads. We're in a time crunch and we don't know how long it will last. And Caius shed light on a piece of the situation I hadn't even thought of myself. Cassian and I are the protectors of this place now. Everyone will be looking to us for guidance. I feel guilt for retreating within myself, even for the short time that I did. It never occurred to me the level of worry my people and Cassian's might be feeling in this new world. Especially since the last time the humans got too close, everyone lost their home.

I laugh softly pulling Cassian's attention.

"I was never meant to rule. It was Kesuk's birthright. I was just meant to be a symbol of peace," I say softly.

Cassian gently places a finger under my chin and lifts my gaze.

"Did you forget who you were meant to marry? Ruling was my birthright."

I scoff, pulling away from his grip but he holds me tight, locking our gazes.

"Do you think you would have joined me in that?" he asks.