The Real Monster

Neytiri

The halls feel empty. It reminds me of the night in Cassian's castle when it rained. It was empty and I was frightened to be in a new place alone. And now history has repeated itself. With Caius gone, I feel more out of my element than ever. His presence has been a comfort to me, especially after he swore himself to me. And he's been by my side since I woke up.

But now I've been left alone with Cassian on the estate. My earlier motivation to face him and our past has been all but dashed as I think of the expression I saw on his face as Caius left. Dragonborn are territorial and known for their tempers. It feels like Cassian and Caius have been on common ground all this time because they had a common goal. But now that I have awakened, their loyalties have been divided once more, Cassian's tamped-down rage at betrayal slowly rearing its head.

I silently walk through the first floor of the estate taking in my surroundings. There's a living room with a beautiful view of the back of the estate. Cassian told me to limit my time outdoors seeing as we're trying to solve the mystery of what is happening with my power. And the condition of remaining on Brineau is that I cooperate with what he asks of me. It's an exchange of trust for both of us but it still makes me uneasy. It feels like I am sacrificing more on my end and Cassian has full control.

I turn away from the window as the sound of footsteps sound from the hall. I hide my shock when Cassian rounds the corner, papers in hand. He's dressed in modern clothing that Caius has referred to as Casual wear, his hair pulled away from his face in a low ponytail. His gaze drifts to where I stand as he passes by, his footsteps faltering when he takes me in. His dark gaze is terrifying as he studies me and I bow slightly hoping to deter the intimidation.

"Good morning," I murmur.

Cassian studies me for a moment, closing the binder in his hands, his direction of steps changing to where I stand. He angles his head slightly as he approaches.

"Are you so formal when greeting Caius in the mornings?" he asks standing over me. I raise my gaze looking in his eyes. The Dragonborn's eyes are naturally intimidating to look at, so I try and remind myself of Cassian's words to me when I awoke. He is no longer a threat and his actions so far have proven that.

"No," I whisper. Cassian smiles softly, reaching toward my face. He notices my reaction, pulling away at the last second.

"Don't be with me."

He studies me for a moment longer before looking beyond me to the scenery that covers the estate.

"I pass by this room every day and I've never bothered to look at what's beyond it," he says stepping past me. I watch him silently as he takes in the scenery for himself, willing myself to approach. From this proximity, I can feel the heat radiating from his skin. But I don't let it add to my unease.

"Would you like to go for a walk?"

I watch Cassian in confusion but nod my head anyway. I crave to be outdoors in this weather, and I won't torture myself because it's Cassian who asked. Cassian smiles at my response, holding his hand out to me. My gaze drifts from his face to his hands. These are the hands that wiped out my people and at one time comforted me. They are also the hands that took what we all thought was my life at the time. And now, they are the hands that have saved my people from extinction.

I take in a deep breath, placing my hand in his. The warmth from his palm dims slightly as he takes my hand, leading me outdoors. The air feels wonderful. It's crisp and freezing. The snow stopped falling hours ago, so only a gray sky remains overhead. The sound of our feet crunching in the snow fills the air as we make our way through the snow-covered courtyard.