Second Awakening

Neytiri

A chill wraps its way around me, and not in a good way. Discomfort forces me to move and shift in my dreamless slumber. But consciousness slowly grips my mind, forcing me awake. I slowly open my eyes, taking in the ceiling above me. I'm home, on the estate. My gaze shifts to the window revealing the familiar surroundings of the estate, and I release a deep breath of relief.

I flinch as pain ripples through me when I attempt to move, just as the events that led me to this point slowly come back to me. I was attacked at the press conference by humans who knew my abilities. They had weapons that countered my body and my power almost killing me, especially when I attempted an escape. The wounds that are slow to heal pulse in pain as I recall the sniper on the roof. They were relentless in their attacks. When I jumped into the water I expected to die. I didn't expect Mirena to be near, pulling me to safety.

"Neytiri."

I follow the direction of the voice speaking my name. Cassian wears a worried expression as he studies me. His eyes glisten and he immediately shifts in his seat to place a kiss on my forehead. He then places his against mine, inhaling deeply. Usually, I could at least hear his heartbeat, but I am so weak, I can only revel in the sound of his breathing. He is alive and well and was not a targeted part of the attack.

"I thought I lost you. I'm so sorry. I should have protected you. I failed you. I won't even ask for your forgiveness," he murmurs between kisses.

I smile softly, placing my hands against his. I take note that my arm still throbs from the sniper attack, and when I look at it, it has bloody gauze wrapped around it. I'm not healing as fast as I usually would.

"How long was I out?" I ask.

My voice cracks forcing me to bite back a cough but Cassian notices, pulling away from me to bring me a cup of water.

"The Mirena brought you back two weeks ago. We were only able to move you back to the estate a few days ago."

My eyes widen.

"How did they know I was in trouble?" I ask in shock.

"There are Ancients stationed all over the world. A few were watching over us during our time on the mainland. You mean more to our world than you know, Neytiri."

I take a small sip of the water, enjoying the cool liquid as it soothes my throat.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

I scoff.

"Weak. In pain."

I watch Cassian carefully as I speak. He's eerily calm in this situation.

"Does the world know?" I ask.

My stomach coils in discomfort as I think of what this could mean. It's dangerous for us to exist in this world. But Cassian shakes his head.

"The people who attacked didn't want anyone else to know of your existence. The cameras were already wiped or 'malfunctioned' prior to the attack. No one knows for sure what happened. They've been persistent in their attempts to contact me to investigate. It won't be long before they try and infiltrate the island for answers."

My heart rate rises as I think of what his words truly mean. I drop my head in my hands.

"I'm sorry. All these years you kept everyone safe and hidden. And I've ruined that in a few days," I whisper.

The pain in my chest increases as I think of everything Cassian has worked for. Everyone on this island is now in danger. Cassian gently pulls my hands away from my face, his expression unreadable as he studies me.