Walls Come Down

Neytiri

Something has shifted since my return.

The men that usually surround me with happiness seem to be on edge. Caius hasn't been to the estate since I awoke, and Ulric has been glued to my side, watching me even as I walk. The tension is in the air and it isn't difficult to figure out why. The attack on the island was terrifying for everyone, not just me. We had no idea something like that could and would happen. Our secrets and lives were almost exposed.

And although I thought my time on the island helped control my power and get rid of my blackouts, I was wrong. My power is as uncontrollable as ever, and somehow I killed people with it, and I don't even remember the act. It's scary to think of what else could happen if I lost control. Now that my mind has had time to understand just how dangerous I am, I see that Cassian was right. It wasn't safe for me to see my people, and I'm glad he kept me away so as not to harm them. I couldn't live with myself if something like that happened.

I flinch, looking in the direction of the estate as a foreign feeling washes over me. The emotion isn't mine, but it lingers in the back of my mind.

It's Cassian.

I recognize this feeling from the day on the island. It's our blood oath. My gaze shifts to Ulric who is still watching me with a blank expression. Cassian's emotions are in turmoil. They're not as controlled as usual, each sending a wave of sadness over me. I laugh softly to myself. Now that I have somewhat grown as an Ikniri, the oath between us is stronger. I can sense Cassian in ways I never did before, including his power, which right now seems to be out of his control.

My gaze shifts to Ulric.

"I'm returning now."

As I make my way into the estate, the scent of smoke assaults me. My eyes quickly roam the halls, but it doesn't seem like there's been a fire. As I make my way through the halls, my footsteps falter when I pass Cassian's office. Or rather, what's left? I release a soft gasp, pushing the charred door open. The walls are black and the furniture is singed. Any papers that were in the office have been burned as well, as smoke still rises from the hot furniture.

"What the hell?"

I hear Ulric murmur behind me as he steps into the office, concern on his features. Before I can speak, the sound of a piano lilts up the hall. I make my way back into the hall, going in search of the music when I feel Ulric's hand on my shoulder.

"Your Majesty, I don't think he would want you to see him like this."

I frown, shrugging Ulric off. Everyone's treating me like I'm still a naive Ikniri. But I am not any longer. And I can't continue to run away from Cassian whenever someone tells me to. If I want to be treated as a queen, I should start acting like one. If I want to unite our people, I need to become comfortable in the face of the Dragonborn I married centuries ago. It's time I let go of the past.

"It's okay. I can handle him. You should go."

Ulric's frown deepens.

"But-"

"That wasn't a request, Ulric."

My voice is firm, pulling his attention. He watches me steadily for a moment before taking a step back, bowing.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

I watch as he disappears up the hall before turning to follow the direction of the music. As I go in search of its player, I feel a sense of deja vu. My early days in the castle were visited by thunderstorms, something we didn't get in the forests. I roamed the halls eventually finding Cassian at a piano, in the dark.