Adapting

Neytiri

Learning about the world I now live in has been a fascinating journey. My earlier reservations about Cassian allowing humanity to take over are much more at ease. I've learned the history, the language, the arts and sciences. A lot of things we didn't know in the past have been revealed and, just as Cassian said, I have learned it fairly quickly.

I've also learned the language that Cassian and Caius were speaking in my presence. It's called English and it is the most common language in this modern society. Our language in the past is considered dead as are our cultures. The English language is one of the most simple. It contains simple inflections and adopted words from other languages to make its own. There are also pauses between words, giving the language a slow delivery when spoken.

As for the history, the history of man is a sad one that seemed to spiral out of control with the disappearance of the last Ancients. Caius says we've all gone into hiding, content to live away from the world. I've lived this long because I am an ancient, but I never learned to cultivate my power so that I could hibernate for centuries. Cassian believes my body did it on its own, forcing me to adapt to something powerful that has somehow damaged me. My forced hibernation means any friends I gained in the past are gone, including Ismena who passed centuries ago. But according to Caius, her descendants live in the Ikniri village.

I've also learned Cassian's place in this world. He owns an industry ranging from energy to technology. It was shocking when Caius showed me his picture on what is called a magazine. He's a very popular public figure that the world believes is the seventh generation of his family. They do not know that he is the same man behind the scenes.

Humanity has also adopted some of our culture as their own. The symbols that are ingrained in our skin from maturation by the magic running through our veins have been adopted as "tattoos". Humans use needles to color in designs on their own skin as well as coloring their hair and wearing something over their eyes called contacts. It sheds light on why Cassian is so adamant about us remaining on the island. The people that takes these types of things to the extreme are frowned upon in their society. Even Cassian is known as "eccentric" in this business world because of his eye color and tattoos. The world thinks he tattooed his skin and eyes for the sake of appearance and his "strange family tradition". They have no idea all dragonborn are born with this ingrained in their DNA. Unfortunately, Cassian's appearance over the centuries has also inspired humans to try it with their own eyes, although some go blind trying.

It's taken a month, but I've learned all the basics to function in this society. Learning and living, however, are two different things. Cassian keeps his distance mostly but I see how he interacts with the world when he is near me. It comes as second nature to him. For me, however, it is overwhelming. Luckily Caius has kept his oath and has been by my side every step of the way. He's been in charge of my lessons, teaching me everything I need to know and will continue to do so as I slowly integrate with this society.

My gaze shifts to the buildings in the distance. I finished my lessons an hour ago and decided to spend what time I had on the snow filled terrace. From this side of the house, I can see a train that wraps around the side of the mountain disappearing into a tunnel. The snow feels nice under my feet and the chill in the air feels great against my skin. Even though I haven't had an episode recently, Cassian's rule still holds. I cannot see the village for myself. But with it being this close, everyday feels like torture.

"Normal people usually find these temperatures unbearable without a coat." Out of instinct, I tense at the sound of Cassian's voice carrying over the area. I turn toward his voice to see him walking toward me with a coat in his hands. He's wearing one himself, the extra layer adding to his intimidation. I haven't seen him since breakfast this morning. He usually keeps his distance throughout the day. I look down at the light dress I found in my wardrobe as Cassian reaches me. He gently places the coat around my shoulders with an amused grin.