The Village

Neytiri

Cassian and I are heading to the village. My nerves are a mix of anxiousness and excitement. For me, it's been a few months. But for my people, it's been centuries. Seeing how big the village has grown, most of the Ikniri in residence now have probably never seen me. My existence only exists in legends to them.

"Don't be nervous. You're the Chieftainess that saved her people from extinction. They'll be thrilled to see you doing so well."

Silence overcomes us at his words. Though we've found common ground, the strain of our past still looms in some instances. But I force it from my mind shifting my gaze to Cassian.

"Have you seen the village yourself?" I ask.

Cassian's grip tightens on the steering wheel but he answers.

"I have overseen the construction of everything from a distance, but I've never set foot in the village. No Dragonborn has. It just didn't feel right."

My eyes remain focused on Cassian is as I speak.

"Would you like to?"

Cassian releases a bitter laugh.

"I don't think my presence would be suitable-"

"Cassian. These are your people now. You can't punish yourself forever and you can't hope for progress if you remain hidden. If we want our people to come together as one, we have to show them that we have done so as well."

Cassian's gaze shifts to mine. He studies me intensely for a moment before focusing back on the road. A soft laugh leaves his lips.

"If that is what you want, then I will not deny you."

I watch him silently. He's fighting an inner battle with himself as always. But it looks like I am the only person that he will allow close enough to bring him back to the present, and no longer wallow in self-loathing. Our past is one covered in blood and hate, especially with one another. I can see the effects of what my father tried to avoid and the ripples that my brother's terrible decision caused. It's like Cassian said, we must honor our families by doing what they never could.

The rest of the drive takes longer than expected, but as we approach the bridge that leads into the village I feel my excitement bubbling over. The village is much larger at this proximity. It looms over our heads, rising into the mountains and dipping below as well. It's almost like a city, the shops and buildings and Ikniri more visible than they ever were at the estate.

Cassian pulls over in the snow-covered field, turning the car off. I study the archway in awe as he rounds the car, opening the door for me. My heart beats rapidly as I take in the archway that has a lamp hanging in the middle, just like in the original village. I also take note that there's a small flurry of snow floating around us as I place my hand in Cassian's, allowing him to help me from the car.

We silently approach the archway, the bustle of life reaching us. I can see the Ikniri moving about their modern-day lives beyond the gate, joy filling my chest as I take them in. There are also two Ikniri standing guard outside the archway. They're wearing traditional armor that has modern takes on it, but their weapons are sheets of ice made from their own source of power.

Their gazes shift to Cassian and me as we approach, widening when they realize who I am. Both Ikniri drop to their knees excitedly speaking their greetings as I stand before them. I can't help but smile, stepping away from Cassian to kneel with them.

"Please, stand up," I say softly.

Tears blur my vision as both guards rise, shock still on their features. My gaze roams over them in excitement. Their skin glows with symbols of our culture, magic running strongly through their veins. Their bright blue eyes and white hair stand out against their warm skin, the color ranging in beautiful browns.