Reunited

Cassian

Humans always react extremely when faced with what they do not understand. Especially when they are reminded of how inferior they truly are in this world and that there are creatures out there that have more power than they could ever dream of. They've spent their entire existence creating weapons and applying science to the world around them, counting out the possibility of our existence. And when the truth is shoved in their faces, they immediately want to destroy the threat to their fragile reality. Now is no different.

As I look at the faces of the doctors who have been in charge of Neytiri's life for the past few months, I feel irritation. They were a smug bunch when offered this position. Especially when they were warned of the dangers that came with it. But when actually faced with those dangers, some want to turn tail and run while others want to do the only thing you can expect of the humans. They want her dead.

"She's a monster, Mr. Varus! You don't understand what we saw... what she did."

My gaze drifts to the cast that is now wrapped around his broken arm.

"I understand having eccentric tastes, but that- monster is a danger to everyone on this island and possibly the planet!" Another shrieks.

"We can't just let something like that roam alive, and keep it a secret-"

I rise from my seat, forcing the current complaint to stop mid-sentence. My gaze shifts to the doctor that I put in charge; Dr. Washburn. Her wrist is fractured, her ribs cracked, her eye is black and her lip is split. She was closest to Neytiri when she awoke. She's lucky Neytiri's first reaction was a physical attack. She has yet to voice her opinion. I remain silent as I study each of them. I know they are intimidated by me. It's an effect I've always had on humans. It's their natural instinct even if it has been dulled by laziness over the centuries.

Mentally, I remind myself this is a natural reaction. Not only did she injure them seriously, but she also killed one using her power. If not for my own power to counter hers, she could have killed me as well. My body still throbs from the force of her attack. Not only was it a deadly attack, but it was a type of attack I'd never seen from an Ikniri.

"Who would like to leave my employ?"

I don't have the time or the patience for these kinds of conversations. Some eyes widen around the room while others visibly sag in relief. I pay each of them a hefty sum to be here. Once they leave my employ they will never see this kind of money again. Nonetheless, the three doctors that I was expecting slowly raise their hands.

"I trust each of you is aware of the stipulations in your contracts. If you breathe a word of anything you saw here, even if it has nothing to do with the woman that attacked you, that will be the last thing you ever breathe to anyone. Am I clear?"

Faces visibly pale as the sound of heart rates rising fills the room.

I gesture to Ulric as I speak.

"You have ten hours to be packed and off the island. Ulric will escort you. I will see the rest of you in the morning for a quick meeting pertaining to your future here. That is all."

I watch silently as each doctor leaves the room, before looking at Ulric.

"Have each of them tailed the second they leave the island."

Ulric nods, his expression grim.

"What is it?" I ask. He's hesitant in responding, so I know that what he has to say is going to be something I won't like.

"Have you seen a healer for your injuries yet?" he asks.

"Of course not."

I had given Caius the honor of being the first person she saw when she awoke, but whatever he was saying to her was making things worse and I could feel her mind through the blood oath breaking under the weight of her horror. So, I decided to step in without seeing a healer first.