You're busted boy

The next morning, Jay is on his way home after a very long and draining work day. Locklan is awake with Avery. They're sitting on the couch, Dracula curled up next to his boy, watching The Amazing Spider-Man movie on Netflix. Dracula pokes his head up, tilting it slightly to the side. "What is it boy?" Locklan asks as Dracula jumps off the couch and runs to the door just as Jay opens it. "Locklan Henry Halstead." Jay says hearing the TV and looking over at his kid. "What are you doing?!" He questions, annoyed already. "Dad why you home so late?" Locklan tries to get the attention off himself. Knowing he's in deep shit. "Don't you dare try to change the subject! You're grounded! And you know that!" Jay scolds his son. "But Da-" Jay interrupts him before he can finish. "No buts! Unless you want me to bust your butt?" Locklan shook his head. "That's what I thought. Turn the movie off right now and get your ass upstairs!" He yells. Locklan ran upstairs with Dracula. "I just walked in the door and I'm already having to deal with his shit?" Jay mumbled to himself. "I'm sorry, I've just had a hard day. We've been working this kidnapping case for 2 days straight and I'm exhausted and I just want to go to sleep." Jay turns to Avery, letting out an annoyed sigh. "Mr. Halstead I am so, so sorry! I had no idea he was grounded or I never would have let him watch TV." Avery apologizes like her life depends on it. "Avery, this isn't your fault. I should have told you beforehand but I've been dealing with this case and it's my fault." Jay says, calmly. "I get it, you know. You're a single father, your wife was uh-" Avery starts. "Murdered? Yeah you can say it." Jay finishes for her. Some days are harder than others. "And now you're struggling to balance out fatherhood and work and you're a very busy man. I get it." She says. "You know if you want, I can stay for a bit and keep an eye on Locklan so you can get a little sleep?" Avery offers. "No, you go home and get some sleep. But thank you though!" Jay says. "Oh and how much do I owe you?" He asks, yawning. "Oh don't worry about it!" Avery answers. "You sure? I thought I mean no offense but I thought babysitting was your income?" He asks. "Haha, no. This is just a little side gig for extra money. I work from home so I can take care of my animals!" Avery answers. "And none taken! Every person whose child I've watched always assumes that too. You get used to it!" She adds and smiles. "Who took care of your animals last night? If you don't mind me asking?" Jay replies. "Ah, I have a boyfriend! He helps me when I have an overnight babysitting job." Avery explains. "Well thank you, I really appreciate it." Jay says. "Anytime! And if you need me, just shoot me a text or call me, and I'll happily come right over! And I mean anything!" Avery says. "Yes ma'am, you got it! I appreciate it!" Jay says. Avery says her goodbyes to Jay, hollers upstairs to Locklan to say bye and leaves. Jay goes upstairs, "I'm going to sleep now, don't you leave this house." Jay says. "Try and leave this house and I'll whoop your ass until you can't sit for 2 weeks!!" He threatens. Locklan chills in his room, Dracula is laying his head on his boy's chest while he's reading the newest diary of a wimpy kid book. Jay ended up falling asleep until around dinner time.

Later on that day, Jay woke up and headed downstairs to find his kid sitting down at the kitchen table. "Hey, bud." Jay greets his son. "Whatcha doing?" He asks, curious. "Homework." Locklan answers his dad. "I'm sorry did I hear you correct? I thought you said you're doing homework." Jay jokes. "Yeah? What's the big deal?" Locklan replies, confused. "Nothing dude. It's just since your mom, you stopped doing your homework." Jay says and sits down next to his son. "Need any help? What're you working on?" He asks. "No thanks, I'm good. And math." Locklan answers. "Ah, yeah I'm glad you don't need help. I was horrible with math. Your mom was a pro at math." Jay says, sighing softly. "Do you miss her?" Locklan asks. "Your mom? Yes, I miss her everyday. I will never stop missing her, bud." Jay answers. "Why do you ask?" he adds. Locklan shrugs his shoulders, "Cuz you don't really talk about her much anymore.." He says, quiet as a mouse. "I know, I guess it still hurts to talk about her. And I know how it makes you feel." Jay replies. "Yeah.." Locklan shrugs before continuing with his math worksheet. "You hungry?" Jay asks. "I'm starving. I was going to wake you up but you looked tired and I didn't want to bother you..I feel like a burden.. I know you work hard to take care of me and stuff." Locklan says, his eyes filling with tears. "Hey, you never bother me and you're certainly not a burden. I'm your Dad, you could have woken me up, I would have made you something to eat." Jay replies. "Oh.." Locklan says. "I love you, bud." He says, and kisses the top of his son's head. "Love you too." Locklan replies. "And I'm sorry.. I'm sorry for watching TV while I'm grounded. I'm sorry for getting into fights at school.. it's like a switch went off inside my head when mom was killed.." He says. "Hey, and while your behavior is unacceptable, I understand your reasoning behind it. We have to get your anger issues under control though. I'll look into getting you into kickboxing this weekend, okay?" Jay says. Locklan nods. "You know your Uncle Antonio owns a boxing gym. Maybe I can talk to him?" He suggests. "Yeah, that'd be cool." Locklan says. "How about we order pizza? I don't really feel like cooking." Jay says. "Yeah! I don't like your cooking. Mom was the better cook." Locklan laughs. "Rude, I'm offended. And to think I was going to let you watch one movie with me before your bedtime." Jay teases, ruffling his hair up. "Wait no, I'm sorry I didn't mean it!" Locklan says. "Nope too late to take it back" Jay laughs and stands up. He orders pizza while Locklan finishes up his homework. The pizza comes, Dracula has to inspect the pizza and the driver. "Rein" Jay commands, Dracula huffs but obeys. "Pick out a movie" Jay tells Locklan as he places a slice of pizza on their plates. "We're eating in the living room?" Locklan asks, shocked. He's never allowed to eat in the living room unless it's like popcorn during a movie.