Don't judge a book by it's cover

*This was before Jay met Derek and it's their first time meeting each other but Locklan knew about Derek*

“Hey, Mr. Halstead! Thank you again for inviting me and allowing me to bring my boyfriend!” Avery walks inside the house, holding her boyfriend's hand. “Hi Avery! And I told you, Jay is fine! And no problem.” Jay greets back. “Sorry, Jay, this is my boyfriend, Derek Lau, Jay, this is Derek Hale.” Avery introduces them to each other. “Hi sir, it's so nice to meet you!” Derek politely says. “You as well.” Jay smiles, they shake hands.

“Locklan, Avery and Derek are here!” Jay calls for his son who is in the backyard playing with his best friends and Dracula. “Loc-” Jay is cut off by Avery. “Oh it's fine, we'll go outside and see him!” She says, “Come on, Dere bear.” She takes his hand and they walk outside to the backyard. “Hey, there's my favorite little man!” Avery says, “Avery!!” Locklan turns around as Rex punted the soccer ball hitting Locklan right in the back. “Ow, Rex!” Locklan laughs and kicks the ball back at him before hugging Avery; she watches him every day after school and they've grown closer, they're more like a big sister, younger brother kinda thing. “Hey bud, what's up?” Derek asks. “Kicking the soccer ball around with my friends.” Locklan answers. “Bro! Come on!” Sam yells. “Yeah, we're waiting for you!” Leo adds. “Chill! I'm coming!” Locklan replies, “Hey, mind if I play with you boys?” Derek asks Locklan.

“Sure why not. It's a free country.” Locklan answers with a shrug before running back over to his friends. Derek joins them, “You seem really cool!” Says Rex. “Yeah! Can you hangout with us more often?” Asks Jax. “Sure, anytime I have free time.” Derek answers the twins with a smile. “Cool!” The twins reply. “What do you do?” Leo asks, curiously. “I'm a mechanic, My Dad owns a mechanic shop nearby here in canaryville.” Derek says. “Wow!” Leo says. “So Avery works at home and you're a mechanic?” Sam asks. “Yes, sir. I work from 6 am to 6 pm.” Derek answers. Locklan is sitting on Avery's lap when Derek walks over with the boys. “Stealing my girl?” He asks, laughing. “What? No!” Locklan says, standing up quickly. “Hey, I was just kidding with you. You're fine, dude.” Derek says. “Be nice Dere Bear, he's a sweet boy.” Avery smiles. “I am being nice, babe, I was just kidding with him.” Derek says, kissing Avery on her forehead. Jay, Avery, and Derek chit chat about work and the boys kick around the soccer ball while waiting for Jay's intelligence family, Will, Nat and Owen to arrive.