Chapter - 12 Spotlight

. . .

Dante Valentino

"I don't think it would be wise to provoke Bratva right now," Fabiano said, sipping his wine. "Let their shipments through our airports."

"That sends the wrong message," said Giovanni. "They slid with the Creeds, they will get what is coming for them. I am blowing their shit up, and you both will just have to deal with it."

"I agree with you," I said to Giovanni, looking at the only door which led people to this part of the restaurant. This was one of my favorite restaurants and this was one of my favorite spots in this restaurant. I liked dining in a free space, not confined by walls. "It sends the wrong message, it's a small shipment for now, but it will increase soon and they will find ways to make it work. I don't want them dealing in our territory."

"I doubt the death of some expandable soldiers will affect Bratva much," Giovanni said. "Maybe we should plan an a-"

"Giovanni, I swear to fuck," Fabiano snarled. "Not this again."

Giovanni sighed. "Dante."

"I agree with Fabi," I muttered. "Blow the shipment up, not Bratva. Our familiga is not stable enough for a war right now." I looked at Leyla who was sitting between my brothers and in front of me. "Did you send the car?"

She nodded, setting her elbow on the table and looking around. "Yeah. She should be here any moment. Are you three done being boring?"

I remembered the time she couldn't look any of us in the eye. She was still scared of me to some extent, but no fear existed for my brothers.

I took a sip of my wine and just then my eyes fell on her. She looked beautiful. The night fell on her as if a spotlight and she shone. Her dark eyes took the space in, and then they fell on me. Her dress was beautiful, covering her thin body just the right way, and the hint of glitter on her cheekbones and collarbones made my hands twitch. 

She walked closer, eyes hesitantly moving over Giovanni and Fabiano. I stood and pulled out a chair for her on my right, she thanked me in a whisper and sat down gracefully. 

Leyla smiled at her. "I am glad you decided to come."

Fabiano introduced himself, Giovanni was busy twirling his knife around like a fucking pen. Lily eyed the knife, fear flicking over her face but it was gone in a moment and I doubted anyone at the table failed to notice it. She forced on a smile. "Hello, Mr. Valentino."

"Giovanni is fine," Giovanni drawled. "I hope you are worth all the trouble you are causing."

"Giovanni," I warned.

"What?" He asked with a chuckle. "Let's order now, shall we?" He looked at Leyla who nodded, giving him a pointed glare he ignored. 

I sighed, sitting back in my chair. I had known this would be a bad idea, but Leyla insisted and eventually got Fabiano on her side. Giovanni resisted but then it was futile. 

I looked at Lily who looked uncomfortable. Giovanni put everyone on edge, and Fabiano may say polite words but his eyes gave his crazy away. 

. . .

"We should go," Giovanni urged. "Come on, you need a good fight." His eyes went to Lily. "She can go warm your bed till then."

Blue's eyes lowered and I didn't like it one bit.

"Shut the fuck up, Giovanni."

"What?" asked Fabiano. "You said she is with you just for fucking." He sat back in his chair, eyes accessing me and then Blue who had frozen, her hands fisting her dress. "You are to be-"

"One more word," I warned. "And I will kick your ass." The air shifted and just like that, years-old hostility was back. We glared at each other and the tension was broken when Leyla returned from the washroom. 

She looked at all of us. "I was gone for five minutes." She looked at Lily who was yet to look up. She wasn't even moving. "What did you say to her?" 

"Excuse me," muttered Blue and before any of us could say a word, she was marching away in the direction of the washroom. 

I rubbed my forehead. 

"So she doesn't know about your future wife," mocked Giovanni. "That's always a good secret to keep, no?"

I stood. "I will meet you at the cage."

His eyes lit up.

. . .

"I don't want to come with you," Blue said. "I don't want to watch a stupid fight."

"There is no one to drop you," I said. "You can stay in the car. It won't take much time."

"I can get a taxi."

"I am not letting you take a fucking taxi."

She looked at me. "Your brothers hate me."

"They hate me, too," I said. "You get used to it. They, or anyone else, won't hurt you. You can stay in the car or come inside and watch the fight. Leyla will keep you company."

She stayed quiet. 

. . .

(4/5)