Chapter - 38 Blue

Lily Jenkins

To say that I kept glancing at the door, waiting for him to come as I packed my bags would sound too pathetic, but unfortunately, it was the truth.

Elliot would be here soon. I had a bag filled with cash at the corner of the room. It was dropped off by one of the guards who refused to tell me where Dante was or didn't know how to speak English.

Fabiano Valentino had marched in, taken one glance and me, and left with his jaw set. I didn't know what his problem was.

When all of my things were packed. I sat Teddy Baby on one of my suitcases, caressing his face.

"It's just you and me now, buddy," I whispered.

. . .

I was at the dock, waiting for Elliot. He said he'd be there in fifteen minutes. One of the guards had helped me with the bags. It was dark now. The city twinkled a few miles away. I had not even explored Venice. I didn't know when I'd be back.

I heard the sound of a motorboat.

I stood up, dusting myself off.

The motorboat was so dark it mixed with the night. There were three men on it, their faces hidden by darkness, but I recognized the man standing in between, dressed in a gray suit.

The light hit his face and Elliot Monet gave me a smile that looked too wrong on his face. He looked just like his brother with dark hair and light-colored eyes, but his brother did not have a scar across his cheek, too many tattoos, and bulging muscles.

"You have the money?"

"Good to know you're still rude."

He narrowed his eyes. "Don't get mad, kid. This is just business." His men jumped out of the boat, grabbing my bags and putting them on the boat. "Which one has the money?"

"The red bag," I grumbled. I wasn't a fan of Elliot Monet. The guy had always pissed me off.

One of his men opened the bag and nodded.

"If it's less than what we agreed on I'll throw you off the ship," Elliot said.

"Your brother would love that."

His eyes flashed. "Too brave. Come on, now." He extended his rough hand towards me, helping me down on the boat.

He sat me down on one of the seats, starting the boat up. A flash of panic trembled my heart at the thought of leaving. Would I ever see Dante again?

Would he even care?

From the start, he mad made it clear that he wanted me in his bed. He got that. Why would he care anymore?

Why should I care anymore?

. . .

"This is your room," said one of Elliot's men. We were now on a much larger boat. It was more of a cruise but not as inviting as one. Every part of it was blackened. Not one light that could make the large machine stand out in the water was turned on. Elliot had disappeared. I didn't know where he was.

The room was tiny but it had everything I could need. Even a TV. The man dumped my stuff on the ground and walked away.

Everything in the room was sharp and rugged. There was a tiny fridge in the corner which I discovered had some beer and a few power bars. A small cabinet had snacks. The closet was smaller than any closet I had ever seen.

It wasn't much but it was enough as long as it was keeping me from getting killed.

Now I was officially not Dante Valentine's problem.
. . .

I spent days in silence. I had taken a few books. I wrote and I read, not speaking to anymore. The need for interactions seemed to escape me, and all I wanted to do was forgot that I existed.

I thought about my mothers - about what I was putting them through. I thought about Henry, wondering why he always stuck by me. I thought about the woman I had killed. I thought about the man who had died that day. I thought about how I had survived - about how much I wished I hadn't.

I could still see it. The alcohol in my system had made things blurry. But he was there, smiling and laughing, looking at me with eyes identical to mine. He had taunted me and said he would make sure my readers found out how much of a sloppy drunk their author was. And then there was nothing but a flash of red. I saw the truck which had been hidden by the night's blanket. I saw the shine of her hair, as blue as my nails.

I heard the screams. I heard him opening my door before his. I heard the crash.

I heard the silence.

I heard it all.

. . .

Okay so I KNOW this is a tiny chapter but I needed to get things out of the way. What do we think of everything so far?

. . .