Chapter - 59 Normal

. . .

Lily Jenkins

I need space, Dante had said and then I was a ghost in his penthouse. We didn't sleep in the same bed, we didn't have any meals together. He still kissed me goodbye when he left for meetings or matches, but he was distant.

I tried to give him space, I really did, even though I itched to talk to him. His company was so addicting. Him taking himself away was such a punishment.

I talked to my mothers, who were having fun in Venice. Well, ma was having fun. Mom was having fun for ma's sake.

Samuel's death wasn't disclosed in the media.

I couldn't even write. All I could do was scribble into my journal and then resist the urge to put it on fire.

It was the fifth day when Dante returned home really late. I was sitting on an armchair, Teddy Baby on my lap. I turned on the lamp, narrowing my eyes at him. He stopped short.

"Where have you been?"

He tilted his head, taking off his suit jacket. "You should be sleeping."

"That's not an answer."

"I was at a match."

He walked to his room.

I bit my tongue. He needs space. He needs space. He needs space.

The door shut.

I curled into a ball, feeling so lonely. I had not felt this lonely since the first night at Elliot's ship, just laying there, thinking Dante was done with me. I hated this feeling. Absolutely fucking hated it. I wanted to be with him, all the time. Him being this far away, especially after what he had told me did not sit right with me.

I stood on shaky legs and walked to his door. I raised my hand to knock, hesitating, and then I lowered it to my side. He needs space.

I should be willing to give him that. He was keeping me safe from very dangerous people. I would be dead if it wasn't for him. I should be grateful to even be here.

So I turned and went to my room with a heavy heart.

. . .

Dante was on his phone when I walked into the kitchen the next morning. He pressed a kiss on my lips and set my breakfast down. I thanked him and sat, instantly eating.

He was talking in Italian. I could understand just a few words. I heard him say Samuel and Dimitri's name a few times.

When he was done, he sat down and started eating.

"Dante."

"Blue."

"Who was that?"

He paused, emotionless eyes piercing into mine. His eyes had been like this since he told me everything. "Giovanni."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes." He resumed eating.

I bit the inside of my cheek. "Will you take me shopping today?"

He tilted his head. "What would you like to buy?"

I shrugged. "Books. Clothes. Jewellery." I just wanted time with him.

He instantly nodded. "We can go after breakfast."

I gave him a small smile and nodded. I knew this would work on him. He liked spending money on me a lot. He could never resist it.

. . .

He took my hand in his as we walked into the bookstore. His hand was warm, I could feel scars against my soft skin. He and I walked to the fantasy section. He stood a step back, keeping his eyes on me, as I browsed.