Chapter - 55 Alisa

. . .

LILY JENKINS

I kept my eyes on the table, even though I knew I should have been looking up and at least trying to look like someone worthy of sitting beside Dante. I could not look up at all. Gabriella, Leyla's sister who had recently turned eighteen, had joined us and she was sitting between Giovanni and Zavier. She was, to be exact, bickering with both of them. But Giovanni and Zavier weren't talking to each other, just her. Dante was his confident self, making conversation with the other people around us, but he did not talk to the Creeds who were sitting suspiciously very near us. So near that Olivia Creed was sitting right next to me.

Yes, right next to me.

"Hi."

I looked at her. She was a very beautiful woman. She had practically lit up the room when she walked it. Leyla and Olivia might not be blood-related, but somehow they were equally beautiful. Olivia's black hair was pin straight, delicately tucked behind her ears from which dangled butterfly earrings. She gave me a little smile. "Lily, right?"

I nodded. "Yes."

She picked up her wine glass and took a sip. "I've read your books."

"You...You have?"

She gave me a little nod, crossing her legs, the black of her dress shimmering. "They are on my five-star bookshelf."

I couldn't help but smile. When anyone told me they loved my books it warmed my heart. "I'm glad you like them."

She looked at Dante beside me who was talking to someone in Italian, but I knew for a fact that he was listening to our conversation. She looked back at me. "Excuse me. I need to use the restroom." She looked like she wanted to say more. But she gracefully lifted herself and walked away without anyone following. She wasn't in much danger here. Alexi was their strongest alliance.

After a few minutes, I stood up. "I need to go to the restroom," I whispered to Dante. He nodded. "I'll come with you-"

"No. You don't have to. I don't think anyone is going to murder me right now. The dinner is too delicious."

He kissed my cheek but stood up. "I am coming with you. I'll stand outside."

He did just that. He leaned on the wall opposite the washroom.

"I know Olivia is inside," he said. "She won't try anything."

"How are you sure about that?" I asked. He considered her to be completely harmless.

He paused and then shrugged. "She cares about my brothers and I. She probably sensed that I care about you. Remember what I told you. She has a bleeding heart. Take your time. I am right here." He kissed my forehead.

I nodded and walked in. Olivia was there as if she had been waiting. Her eyes lifted and she smiled. "I was hoping you'd follow. Now, I do not have much time."

She walked towards me. "Lily, I saw the CCTV footage. I know it wasn't your fault. Creeds do, too. But what we believe doesn't matter, because it's not us who're after you."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

She sighed, turning away from me, running a hand through her perfect hair, messing it up a bit, her million rings sparkled. "My husbands are not willing to admit it, but Samuel has gone rogue. He has...he has gone mad. His rage is not limited to just Dante, he wants to bury the Valentino name. His anger has marinated for too long. And, he has found himself a powerful partner."

"Who?" I asked.

"Alisa," She said. "Alisa Sokolov - Alexi's sister. She was with Kylie or was about to be, I do not know. The day Kylie died, Alisa was to meet her in the park. Instead, she found her dead. Kylie..." She met my eyes. "Kylie could have been saved if the ambulance had been called."

"Oh..." I had been barely conscious because of my injuries. But I could have tried to find my phone. I could have tried to go to her. I could have tried-

"I know you were injured and that's why you couldn't do much," She said, interrupting my thoughts. "But Alisa doesn't think so. She already killed the truck driver. She wants to kill you now, but you're under Dante's protection, so..." She took a deep breath. "Both you and Dante are in danger. You're Alisa's prime target, and Dante is Samuel's. They're working together. They're two of the best assassins in the world. You're in danger, Lily. You're in more danger than you can ever imagine." She gripped my hands. "And so is Dante."

"I...Why are you telling me this?"

"I am telling you this because any harm to the Valentinos will harm my sisters. I am telling you this because any harm to the Valentinos will make my husbands retaliate, no matter how much they pretend their friendship is over. If Samuel and Alisa are successful in killing either of you, it will lead to war. And in mafia wars, women are too often targeted."

The door opened and Gabriella entered. She looked at me and then at Olivia.

Then, she threw herself on Olivia.

Olivia laughed and wrapped her arms around Gabriella. "I missed you, too, Gabby."

"I didn't say I missed you."

I gave Olivia a small smile and walked out just as Gabriella started rambling about something. I closed the door behind me and looked at Dante who was still standing right where I had left him. We heard footsteps and watched as Xerxes drew closer. He looked at Dante and then at me. He leaned against the wall, a few feet away from Dante, probably waiting for Olivia.

Dante looked at him. "Nice little dinner party you planned with Alexi. Did you decide on the pudding?"

Xerxes looked at him blankly. "Olivia likes chocolate."

"And the fluffy tablecloth?"

His lips twitched. "Ashton."

Dante looked like he was about the chuckle, but then he looked away from Xerxes and set his eyes on me. "Let's go home." The dinner was still left, but it was obvious he had had enough. Dante wasn't social. He could act like he was.

I nodded and took his outstretched hand and we walked to the lift.

"What did Mrs Creed say?"

"A lot."

I nestled myself in his arms as soon as the lift closed. I snuggled into his chest and told him everything Olivia had said.

He caressed the back of my head.

"This is good."

"How in the world is this good?"

"It's good because now I have a reason to fuck up the Bratva."

. . .

I forgot how much I like writing this book. Dante and Lily's relationship is exactly what I want. It's so peaceful and calm while everything around them isn't.

BLUE || 18+  (Monsters #4)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें