Chapter - 42 Solution

. . .

LILY

I watched as a car approached and slowed too near the ship as I sipped my coffee. I put my forearms on the railing, scanning the expensive vehicle closely. It had been coming here every morning, and I could feel eyes on me too.

Safe eyes.

I knew who was in there. Somehow, I just knew.

I sat Teddy Baby on the railing, keeping a hand on him to keep him from falling. I rubbed his belly with my thumb.

After a while, the door opened, and he got out. His hair shone like gold. His body was draped in a dark suit, and his eyes were hidden behind sunglasses.

He leaned against the front of his black car. The sun was rising in the sky, and for the life of me, I couldn't tear my eyes away from Dante.

I brought the cup to my lips. I wanted to throw the hot liquid at him. Where is Carlina, you fucking asshole?

I let out a breath. He looked impressive. The first time I had seen him, he had seemed to be nothing but danger. The danger existed still, but now it was lined with a certain...tenderness. I felt safe every time he touched me, as if I could hide in his arms and forget about everything.

I hated how much I craved it.

We watched each other for a while. I clutched Teddy Baby to my chest, suddenly feeling a bit overwhelmed. I looked away from him and glared at a nearby yacht.

He stood there for a while. I could almost feel his eyes moving over me.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I looked at him. He had his phone pressed to his ear.

I sighed and answered the call, my heart beating faster. "Yes?"

"Good morning, Blue," he said, and I softened at the sound of his voice. He removed his sunglasses, revealing his stunning eyes."How are you?"

"I'm alright." My voice was tight. "How is your fiancée?"

"You know about that."

"The media is having a field day with it."

"I do not feel anything towards her. I am doing what is expected of me."

"You owe me no explanation." I hugged Teddy Baby closer to my chest. "She won't like you staring at me."

"I couldn't care less about what she won't like, Blue," he said. "She feels nothing for me except fear."

"I wonder why," I said dryly.

"I see Teddy Baby is keeping you warm."

"He is a better cuddler than you."

"I'd love an opportunity to prove you wrong."

"Too bad you won't get it."

"Come to me."

"And become your whore again?" My words were sharp, yet lined with the hurt I couldn't conceal. Why won't you let me be more?

"You were never my whore."

"Everyone else in your Mafia seemed to disagree."

"What they think can be changed."

I shook my head. "You have a fiancee."

He paused for a while. "I could..." He let out a breath. "I will see you tomorrow."