Chapter - 24 Safe

Dante Valentino

It was a few days after my awful meal with Danilo's family. Lily was busy writing - and I had a feeling she didn't want to be close after whatever that woman had said to her at the party.

I let her be. I didn't know how to handle a situation like this. Maybe she was just busy with her writing and would come around after she came down from her writing high.

My brothers and Leyla finally left for Florence. I had to stay in Sicily till a new Underboss was established.

Then, I would return to Venice. By then, I would have a fiancée. And Blue would probably be gone. Life would return to order.

Order.

I returned to the house after seeing my brothers off and found her sitting with her friend - Henry. She asked if he could come over and after a thorough background check, I said yes. And he was Sebastian's something. If he did anything I'd have Sebastian's neck.

Speaking of him, Sebastian walked out of the kitchen, half naked and with two ice cream tubs in his hands.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he sat down between Henry and Blue, handing them the ice cream. He stretched his arm behind Blue and gave her a smile.

"We are going to watch a few movies," he said, not looking away from her. She narrowed her eyes at him. "Your fiery kitten is a lot of fun to play with, Dante."

"She will tear you a new one," Henry said, stuffing his face with ice cream. I had seen the man before at the graveyard.

"Go wear something Sebastian," I ordered and he knew better than to question me. He wore his t-shirt and settled himself back between Henry and Blue.

"Done, Capo."

"I will be in my office." I turned and walked to the small room, just when I heard her giggle.

Happy.

I froze. But then I forced myself to keep walking. She needed time with her friend.

. . .

When I emerged from the office after about five hours, I found her asleep with her head on Sebastian's shoulder. I picked her up, hating how she smelled a bit like Sebastian. But it wasn't my place to get jealous.

No matter how much I wanted to shatter Sebastian's jaw. I knew he wouldn't touch her. And I knew she didn't want him to touch her. Her reaction to his smile had been proof enough.

But one day she'd want someone to touch her - someone who was not me.

I would break his hands.

I laid her down on her bed, sitting down on the edge of the bed as I stroked her cheek. She took a hold of my hand in her sleep, pulling it to her neck.

I frowned as she loosely wrapped it around her neck.

Did it make her feel safe?

It seemed like it.

So I sat there for a while, keeping my hand where she wanted it to be, and looking at every inch of her face. I meant it when I said that she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

I had missed her these past few days.

She woke up, eyes gently opening, and falling on me. Both of her hands were on mine, holding it to her neck. She gasped and sat up. I let go of her neck.

"It's a habit," she mumbled. "The neck thing."

"It makes you feel safe," I said.

She paused and then nodded. "It's fucked up."

"It's adorable."

She paused. "Adorable?"

I shrugged. "Yes." I watched her for a second. "I can sleep with you, hold your neck through the night."

She gulped and then, almost hesitantly, nodded. "You sure you want to do that?"

"I wouldn't have offered if I didn't," I said and stood. "Let me throw those two out. I'll be back after changing."

She smiled, almost shyly, and nodded.

I cupped her chin, and dropped a kiss on her lips, unable to help myself.

. . .

I could feel her breath under my hand - it was strangely calming. A constant reminder that she was okay. I liked this arrangement more than I should have.

Her back was pressed to my front, bodies close together. I could feel her warmth and her softness.

"Dante?" She whispered, her neck vibrating under my hand.

"Yes?"

She was quiet for a while. "I think I was jealous."

"When?"

"When you told me about the ex-submissive."

"You have no reason to be jealous," I said. "Whoever she was, I don't have any connection to her anymore."

"We aren't exclusive, though."

"Do you want to fuck someone else?" My hand tightened just a little. She pressed herself closer to me. I loosened the pressure.

"No," she whispered. "If I can have sex with you, having sex with someone else feels idiotic."

"I feel the same way."

She hummed.

"This is so complicated - whatever this is."

I feel the same way.

. . .

It's MissAnonymous171's birthday. Thank you for everything you do. You deserve the best things in life. Here's 🥂 to another year of you being a polite badass bitch.