Chapter - 48 Yes

DANTE

"I have to say," I said after the meeting was done and we had shaken hands. "I wonder why Alexi allows you autonomy."

Dimitri Bykov's face was a mask of nothing, but the corner of his lips twitched. He was a giant man, as big as me, but a lot broader and with skin a bit darker. His hair was cut close to his head, and his piercing blue eyes had not missed a single thing as soon as he walked in. I knew a good businessman when I saw one.

"Alexi doesn't allow me shit, Mr. Valentino." His voice was gruff and heaving with a deep Russian accent. "Russia is a big country, there can be two kings...for now."

I knew all about his plans to dethrone Alexi.

"You're playing with fire," Giovanni, who was sitting beside me on the couch, said. And then grinned. "I want in." He threw his knife in the air and grabbed it by the blade, tiny drops of blood pouring out.

Soon enough, Dimitri was gone and I was left with Giovanni in the club. We were in a private booth, but the vibrations of the music could easily be heard there.

"I am going back," Giovanni said, standing up and stretching as he groaned. "This meeting was long as fuck. Do you think Dimitri can actually kick Alexi's ass?"

"Dimitri is our age, and Alexi may have grown but he has a lot to learn...Yet, I can't say anything for sure."

"Dmitri may ask for our support, considering our alliance."

"He will have our support."

He hummed. "Leyla is alone. I have to go. You're coming?"

"I'll stay in the penthouse."

"With your little Blue?"

"Don't call her that," I snapped.

He raised an eyebrow, eyes calculating as he watched my face, and then he shook his head with a chuckle. "Dante Valentino pussy whipped. Luca owes me so much money." He walked out of the booth.

I followed. The crowd parted as if sensing our presence. People stopped and stared. Some bold women stepping closer.

Yet all I could think about was the fiery little kitten I had cornered in my penthouse.

. . .

I rolled my neck, hearing a crack.

The penthouse was washed in complete darkness. I hadn't been able to come back for dinner. But there was food in the fridge, which I discovered to be uneaten.

I walked upstairs, my feet light on the wooden staircase. Light flooded out from the cracks of one door.

I opened it gently. And there she was.

She was laying on the covers, eyes closed and cheek squashed against a pillow. Even her damn shoes were on. A book was beside her, open. And her phone was in her hand.

She was covered in another one of her shapeless dresses, which was exposing too much of her thighs. I watched the smooth skin, knowing how soft it felt but wanting to touch her again. Mark her again.

I looked down at Teddy Baby in my hand.

I set the toy on the nightstand and took her shoes off. I gently lifted her by the waist to get the blanket out from under her and then tucked her in. I grabbed her phone and book, setting them aside.

I sat on the edge of the bed, watching her sleep.

She moved a little and then her hand lifted, wrapping around her neck lightly. A habit, she had said. A habit I liked a bit too much.

Only when it was my hand around her throat.

I brushed my thumb on her jaw, unable to keep myself from touching her. She moved a little again, a frown coming over her face, and then her little hand grabbed mine and she clumsily pushed it against her neck.

I sighed and wrapped my hand around her soft neck, rubbing my thumb over her steady pulse.

She stopped moving.

I sat there for a while, rubbing her pulse and barely able to believe that she was back in my bed. When I had left her in the theatre back home, I had not expected her to be this close to me again.

But here she was.

My phone buzzed. I fished it out of my pocket with one hand and looked at the message.

Danilo - The Mafia doesn't stand with your decision, Dante.

I gritted my teeth. I owned the mafia, not the other fucking way around.

My hand had tightened around her neck. She gasped, just a bit, and then settled in. I removed my hand from her neck and gave her Teddy Baby, who she instantly cuddled to her soft breasts.

I wanted to drown him.

I walked out of the room after switching off the lights.

I called Danilo.

"Do you not like talking, Danilo? Because I can have your tongue for this."

"Boss," he said, his tone condescending. "I was promised a Capo. Your brothers have already rattled the mafia by marrying that American- or whatever she is. The heir of the mafia cannot be half her."

"Why?"

"She is not Italian."

"Give me the real fucking reason, Danilo."

"She's is half...whatever her people are called. It will show. The skin will show. No one will follow her son."

I shook my head. Racist fuck.

I clenched my fist. Calm the fuck down. The mafia would be in uproar soon enough, especially when I announce Blue as mine. Danilo was the first one to speak up. I knew he was the leader of the people who had a problem with us.

A rebellion now, especially when the Creeds and the Russians were being so fucking unpredictable...would leave us in ruins.

"You wanted a Capo for your daughter," I said. "You will get one."

"Who?"

I hung up and called him.

"Dante? Look at the fucking time-"

"Luca," I said. "Do you want her?"

There was silence on the line, for just a moment. And then the answer came, sure and firm.

"Yes."

. . .

Wewo

I'm planning on ending the people who're asking me about my new year resolutions. Wyd?