Chapter - 20 Fire

Lily Jenkins

Dante returned the next day and went straight to bed. I heard him, but I didn't get out of my room to see him.

I was hurt. He had slept beside me, he had touched me and praised me, and then he left so abruptly. If he had just calmly told me that he would be back the next day and that he had work to do, I wouldn't have been this hurt.

I didn't go out of my room till it was midday and he knocked on the door.

I took in three deep breaths. You don't care. You don't care. You don't care. You don't care-

Fucking hell. Stop caring.

I got out of bed and opened the door.

Before I could say a word he beat me to it. "I am sorry," he said. "I left so
abruptly. You must have been confused. I had some really important things to do."

I paused. "It's okay," I said. "I understand. And it's not like you owe me an explanation," I muttered the last part.

He frowned. "I do," he said. "I touched you and left like that." He cupped my face. "And your eyes whisper what you don't speak, Blue."

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked, changing the subject, and looking at the beautiful tux he was wearing. As dark as coal. It looked marvelous on him.

"The party I asked you about," he said. "It is tonight."

"What kind of party is it?" I asked, leaning on the door frame.

"It's a birthday party."

"Who's birthday?"

"Mine," he said. "It's more of a ball, just a reason for people to mingle."

I froze. "It's your birthday today?"

He shrugged. "Sort of."

I blinked slowly. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I..." He frowned. "I didn't think it was something you'd like to know."

"It's your birthday and it is today."

He hummed. "I have an hour before I head out."

I drummed my fingers on my forearms. "Are you taking someone with you?"

"I am going alone."

"Would you like to take someone with you?"

He paused. "You said no."

"I was a bit crazy back then."

"It was just a few days ago-"

"I wanna go with you."

He cupped my chin, bringing me closer to him. "Do not interrupt me," he said in a harsh voice which sent tingles down my spine for all the wrong reasons. And then he smiled. "You can come with me," he said, his voice softened.

I nodded. "I'll be ready in an hour." I was always quick with it.

"I'll be waiting by the bar."

. . .

I didn't have an answer why suddenly I wanted to go with him and I didn't bother to try to figure it out. I just wanted to go with him.

It was simple. I liked his company.

I got dressed in exactly an hour and walked down the staircase.

He, as promised, was sitting by the bar and sipping a drink. He paused when his eyes fell on me.

His knuckles whitened around the glass, and his jaw tensed. He looked all over my body, at the beautiful dress, at the high heels, at the hair which was curled, and at my face, which held a little bit of makeup.

He looked at my neck and dug into his pocket, pulling out a flat box.

He walked closer to me. "I bought this for you," he said.

He opened the box and I looked at the beautiful diamond choker inside. I almost gasped as it twinkled.

"I was going to give this to you while apologizing," he said. "I think it will look beautiful around your neck. Do you agree?"

I nodded wordlessly.

He smiled and turned me around. He gently clasped the choker in its place. It reminded me of the marks his fingers had left on my neck, marks I had hidden with a layer of makeup.

He turned me around and ran his eyes all over me again. "The diamonds fit your beauty well," he muttered. "You're the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, Lily." He pulled me closer and dropped a kiss on my forehead. It made me feel too good - the warmth he caused in my chest was growing with each second.

I had to get out before it turned into fire.

. . .