Chapter - 17 Shadows

Dante Valentino

I had known what Pietro did to Lily's mother, but I had not known the details. I didn't think of myself as an overly violent man, but I found myself regretting killing him in just a day.

I could have done a lot more.

But regret is futile.

She went to bed soon after finishing her glass. I wanted to stop her, to keep her talking. But she looked tired, and it had been a long day.

I went to bed, closed my eyes, and then suddenly, I was there.

And she was there, a golden gun in her hand, but it wasn't pointed to me or Rosa or Leyla...it was pointed at Lily.

Blue.

Blue was on her knees and she was bleeding. My brothers were by my side, all five of them. But none of them could do anything.

Carla was crying. "They all hurt me because of you! Because you were so fucking stupid."

I was. I had been stupid. While trying to protect her, I destroyed her. She was my sister.

I was supposed to protect her. I was supposed to protect all of them. And I failed.

I kneeled in front of Lily and cupped her perfect face. I brushed her tears away.

"Look at me, Blue."

She didn't. She was looking somewhere else.

"Blue," I whispered.

Strength left her body. She fell on me.

"Blue," i whispered again. I took her hand, pressing my thumb on her pulse.

There was nothing.

Blue.

I looked up at Carla.

"What can I do to make this right?" I asked her.

She smiled and kneeled beside me, she cupped my face with a hand. "Meet me in the meadow," she whispered. "Come, be my brother."

When I woke up, my body was twisted in the covers, and I could almost hear Carla's whisper in my ear.

Meet me in the meadow.

Where we had buried her.

. . .

"I will rule over Sicily till we find a fit Underboss," I said.

"What about Venice?" Asked Fabiano as I put down a plate in front of him.

"It's peaceful." I put down a plate in front of Giovanni who instantly dug in. "Finding a good Underboss shouldn't take much time."

"The Marchetti family has ruled Sicily since ages," said Fabiano. "The men are loyal to them."

"Then we need an Underboss strong enough to win their loyalty," I said. "I do not see another option."

"I did see another option till yesterday. Letting Aldo rule," Giovanni said. "But then you decided to butcher him."

"He shouldn't have done what he did."

They both watched me, their eyes accessing.

I put my hands on the counter. "Choose your next words wisely."

"I just don't understand why you are being so riled up for a bastard," Giovanni said. "Fuck her and throw her away. What is so hard about that? It has already been days since you decided to keep her."

"I agree," said Fabiano. "You are to be married, aren't you? I doubt Danilo likes this situation." He and I both knew what Danilo liked was irrelevant.

I didn't say a word. I set my plate down and ate, eyed on the staircase. She was late today.

My brothers were quiet, but I knew more words were coming.

And then they did.

"You can stop the wedding," said Fabiano.

Giovanni grinned. "A run away groom. Sounds like you, doesn't it?"

I chuckled, shaking my head. "I'm marrying her," I said. "It's for peace. Lily will be my mistress." She won't be with me for too long. I doubted it would come to that. "And that will be it."

They were quiet then.

"We have another problem," said Giovanni.

"What?" I asked. There were too many problems.

"Samuel was spotted," Fabiano said. "Yesterday. Near the Arena."

"And you are telling me now?"

"You were busy losing it over Aldo," said Giovanni, standing up. "We have people combing through every street. If he is here, we will find him."

"He is here for you and your girl," said Fabiano. "Maybe just for you, maybe not. So, keep her inside."

"I can keep her safe."

"We know," said Giovanni.

And then they were gone.

I lowered myself back on the stool, looking at the dirty plates.

I heard her.

"Are they gone?"

"Were you hiding from them?"

"They are mean," she muttered, walking closer. She was wearing a sweatshirt with shorts. Her hair was up in a bun. She searched my face. "Are you okay?"

I gave her a nod. "Yes, Blue. I am alright."

She smiled. And the look in her eyes told me she didn't believe me.

There were not many similarities we shared, Blue and I, but there was something about her eyes that matched mine.

It was grief - or sadness. Something about her reached out to me, caressing the darkened shadows in my mind - shadows I could barely reach anymore.

. . .

(4/5)