Chapter - 28 Home

Lily Jenkins

I woke up to an empty bed. It didn't take long for me to realise that he was gone. I shoved around the disappointment. It was midday, for god's sake. He had things to do. But his attention was an addiction.

"Did you tell him?" Henry asked through the phone. "I think he needs to know he is keeping you safe from his ex-besties."

"Zip it, Henry."

"I'm just saying," he muttered. "I talked to your moms."

"How are they?"

"They are alright. Archer is keeping them safe."

Archer was my mother's - Chelsea's - brother. He was a powerful politician. I knew as long as my mothers were with him the Creeds couldn't hurt them. And they hadn't even tried to hurt them.

They were after me.

I sighed, sitting down on the edge of my bed, and my shoulders lowered with guilt.

"It wasn't your fault," he whispered soothingly. "It was really not your fault."

"They are hunting me for it."

"It's the mafia - they need to keep up with their machoism ." I cracked a smile, sniffling.

"You know," I whispered. "Even when I am sitting down I feel like I am running."

"You can rest easy for now, Lily. Dante is keeping you safe. Your mothers are safe."

I hummed. "It's temporary peace, but it's peace nonetheless."

"Who knows," he said. "Maybe he will fall in love with you and you'll be safe forever."

I chuckled. "Yeah."

"Did the mansion sell?"

"Dante is handling it, as I told you. Not many people want to buy it."

"I don't understand what you plan to do after you sell it. Get bodyguards? Build yourself a cabin deep in the woods?"

"I..." I drummed my fingers on my knees. "I contacted Elliot."

"What-"

"I'll go with him. I'll give him some money and he'll let me hide in his boat for some time till this blows over."

"I swear to fuck- Elliot?"

"He is cool."

"He gives me heebie jeebies. Didn't you date his brother?"

"He is a safe choice."

"Isn't he a modern pirate?*

"Didn't you have a crush on him?"

He was quiet for a while. "Those eyes..." He sighed. "Still-" He sobered up. "I don't like it."

"I'm not asking you to like it. Don't tell anyone about this, yeah?"

"Not even your mother hens?"

"Especially them."

"It's like you want them to murder me."

"Your Sebby will keep you safe."

He grumbled something under his breath. After talking more, we hung up.

I looked down at the blank screen of my phone. I had nothing to do. Back home, I kept myself busy with book signings, million library visits, clubs, and travelling.

Living wasn't a priority now - surviving was.

. . .

As soon as he was home, he sat down beside me on the couch and pulled me on his lap.

"How was your day?"

"Boring." I hid my face in his neck, breathing him in.

He hummed, rubbing my back. "I'm sorry for keeping you inside."

I set my head on his shoulder and he looked down at me. He looked exhausted. His hair was a mess and eyes dimmed.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

He frowned but then, after a pause, nodded. "It's just work, Blue." He looked at my laptop. "How's it coming along?"

"It's shit,'' I said. "But at least I can stand it and am not deleting it."

"That's progress," he muttered. "Any way I can help?"

I shrugged. "I don't think so." I glanced down at his hand. He wrapped it around my neck instantly, rubbing his thumb on my skin.

"Okay," he said. "Do you mind if we order something tonight? I don't think I'll be able to cook."

My heart squeezed. "I don't mind, Dante."

He dropped his forehead against mine. "Sleep in my bed tonight."

I nodded. "Okay." I took hold of his tie, lossensing it. "How about you relax for a while? Take a bath?"

He hummed but didn't move.

"Come on," I said, getting off his lap.

He looked at me, head resting on the backrest, and a lazy smile came on his lips. I pulled at his hand. He didn't move an inch.

"Try harder."

I huffed in annoyance. "Get up."

He didn't budge.

"Dante-"

He pulled on my hand and I fell on him. He grabbed the back of my neck and kissed me till I saw stars.

"I love coming home to you," he whispered.

. . .