18) Sweet Rose

🦋

Chandni was ten when she last hugged her father.

Then she got her periods only three months before her eleventh birthday.

Like every other girl her life also changed after that day. She got to know new things. It seemed like a new world.

The changes were on the surface.

Her body changed, her voice changed, she started loathing those five days of the month.

However the biggest change that came in her life was the change in her father.

He started seeing her as a young girl rather than his little daughter. The hugs from her father became less. She started yearning for the warm embrace from her papa but he never hugged her again.

Her new mother used to tell her, now you are a grown up girl, not anymore you are papa's little girl. Don't expect hugs from your father. His thinking is quite orthodox. Girls can't even look in their father's eyes, they cannot talk back to them so any expectations of warmth and showing affection is worthless.

It was weird for an eleven year old Chandni. Her friends were also growing up, physically and mentally their fathers have not stopped showing love to them then why did her papa did ?

The orthodox beliefs being followed in her home deepened the gap between a daughter and father.

She could not express her love to him, her fear to him. She could not tell him what her dreams are and the day she expressed it she got a slap in return.

"Papa, can I hug you ?" Chandni asked in a small whisper the night before she ran away from her home.

Mr. Thakur turned his gaze away from the book he was reading and looked at his daughter who was standing on the doorstep with her eyes down.

" You are eighteen years old girl Chandni. Don't behave like a five year old kid,"he said, curtly and again moved his attention to the book in his hands.

Chandni's eyes opened, carrying those same tints of tears.

With the tip of her finger she wiped the last drop and glanced towards her side.

Sabiq was sleeping with his mouth open. The baby girl was soundly asleep on his bare chest.

Chandni chuckled softly, seeing that the baby girl also had her mouth open and both Sabiq and her were drooling.

She sat up on the mattress and wiped the drool off the baby's face with a smooth napkin. For a moment she thought of wiping Sabiq's mouth too but went against it.

A small smile curled up onto her lips as she saw how Sabiq was showing love to the unknown baby girl.

Sabiq Malik was snuggling a baby to his chest. She wondered if he would show this love to her even when she grew up or if he would sell her out like other girls.

The thought brewed something bitter in her heart and she decided to think against it. He was being nothing but sweet to this baby girl at least after the time he saw his fiance almost killing her.

The watch on the blue wall was telling her it was three at night. Few hours were still left for the morning to come.

Her gaze again turned to the man sleeping beside her. A wall of pillows again dividing them.

This man seemed different to her as she stared at the uncountable scars of his rough body. Lines and holes everywhere as if he had already battled his twentieth war.

His face was brisky even when he was asleep like he was not completely into slumber. Like one part of him was awake even now. Like he was alert for any good or bad occurring.