Part 15 || A Spirit

"In proportion to how much one struggles again circumstance, they expose themselves to danger. Even death may follow as a consequence. A certain human took this risk and died." the black hooded man said. 

---

"That's right, I'm..." March's spirit said. "Yet she did not lose what was most precious to her."  the black hooded man said as March's spirit walked over to the big bear's spirit. The bear growled kindly, and March hugged the bear. 

"Let's go back together now." Parona said pointing her knife at Hayase. "Big sis... Fu... Mi..." March's spirit said, looking at all of you. She then looked at her own lifeless body. "BIG SIS! MARCH IS HERE!! RIGHT HERE!!" March's spirit yelled. Parona didn't answer. March was on the verge of tears. She ran over to Parona. "NO NO NO NO NO, MARCH DOESN'T WANT TO DIE!" March yelled, trying to pound her hands on Parona. But it just went through Parona since March was just a spirit now.

"MARCH IS RIGHT HERE! NOT DEAD! THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS MARCH WANTS TO DO! AND SHE HASN'T DONE ANY OF THEM YET!" March continued. "It's alright, March." Parona said. March stopped, thinking Parona could actually hear her. "Wait a bit, I'll be there soon." Parona said, starting to aim the knife she was holding at her own neck. The knife gleamed in March's eyes. "I'm not equipped to accept this reality and continue to live on carefree." Parona said, smiling while crying, the knife almost to her neck.

March realized what was about to happen. "NO! BIG SIS! YOU CAN'T! DON'T DIE!" Parona said, trying to grab the March out of Parona's hands. But her ghostly hands just went through Parona's. March ran over to you. "MI! HELP BIG SIS! HELP HER!" she then ran over to Fushi. "FU! STOP HER!" she pleaded. "STOP!!" March reached her hand out, trying to get her to stop.

At the same time, you and Fushi put your hands out, stopping Parona from slitting her neck. Parona's eyes widened. Fushi had a look of determination on his face. You fell to your knees and hugged Parona, causing her to drop her knife. "THERE THEY ARE! CAPTURE THEM WHILE THEY'RE STILL IN HUMAN FORM!" the guards said. Fushi grabbed your wrist, then Parona's wrist. "Eh?" Parona said. He then turned into his bear form. You and Parona rode on his back.

"And yet you both tell me to keep on living... what distasteful people." Parona said, tears falling from her eyes. 

- - -

You all finally arrived back at Ninanna, you and Parona riding on Fushi's back. The villagers gathered to see what was happening. "Pa... rona...?!" March's father asked, shocked. "Who is the other person?" a villager whispered, talking about you. Fushi huffed as he walked. "That's..." the villagers said stunned. "It couldn't be? The spirit bear!" a villager exclaimed.

Parona got off from Fushi's back, and you did too. You stood next to Fushi. "Parona! Everyone was looking for you! Where have you been the past half year?!" March's mom asked, pushing through people and getting to Parona. "...I... couldn't do anything." Parona said, no emotion in her eyes. "What...?" March's mother asked. "That's right... I was... entrusted with this letter to give to you." Parona said, pulling the letter out of the bandages that covered her. "A 'letter'?" March's dad inquired. "It's a paper with words recorded on it." Parona said, handing it to them. "Isn't this... just a handprint?" March's father asked.

"What's written there is 'March is doing well.'" Parona said, smiling sadly. March's parents' eyes widened. Parona trembled, trying not to cry. "What have I done... as her parent, I should have protected her... I'm so sorry." March's dad said, his voice quivering. "Yeah..." was all Parona could manage to get out, trying not to let the tears spill out. "Thank you for fighting for March..." March's mom said, hugging Parona. The mom was crying. Fushi then came over and transformed back into his human form. Everyone was stunned. You walked over to Parona with him.

He put his hand on you and Parona's shoulder, and smiled at Parona. Parona smiled while crying. "Hey! The Yanome are coming towards the village!" a man exclaimed. "What?" another man asked. "Now's not the time is it?" the same man asked. "Why are they here? Go convey this  news to the elders." the man told someone. "This is bad! They must be after you both!" Parona said, grabbing you and Fushi's arm. "You need to run, Fushi and Misen. Avoid their scent and escape..." Parona said. "There is nobody to give your life meaning! Grab it!" Parona told you both.

"You both understand my words, right?" Parona asked. Fushi looked at her sadly. You hugged her, her eyes widening. Fushi then turned into his wolf form, then you too. Then you both were off. Parona looked at you both as you both set off.

- - -

Parona climbed the tower's ladder. "Where are they?" someone asked, talking about the Yanome. "Over there." someone else said, pointing to a cliff. "They're close." someone said. Hayase aimed her bow and arrow. "They've caught sight of Fushi... we'll need to stop them." Parona said. Parona then remembered she had an arrow hidden in her pants. She took it out. "There's only this heavy strong one." a man said, handing a bow to Parona. "That's fine." she said, taking the bow. She aimed her bow and arrow at Hayase, and shot.

The arrow went through Hayase's hand. "It hit!" the man said. "No..." Parona said. "I missed... I missed...!" she said.

- - -

"Having met and separated from their mother, they gained humanity." the black hooded man said. "No, they never separated."

"They traveled on together."