Part 36 || I think we got on the wrong ship.

"You know I'm still mad at you for leaving me. Without even saying goodbye too." You told Fushi. "Yeah, I think Pioran beating me up makes up for it..." Fushi joked. "Look! A town!" Pioran exclaimed. "I'm feeling hungry, so why don't we stop here for a bit?" Pioran asked. "You're always hungry." You commented, rolling your eyes. "So are you! Hya!" Pioran said, making the donkey run. "Wha-" Fushi started.

- - -

"Ah, I haven't had noodles in so long! Delicious!" Pioran commented in delight, devouring her noodles. "Pioran, eating fast isn't good for you! Slow down!" You exclaimed. "Yeah, yeah..." Pioran muttered. "W-Wait! We should get out of here quickly!" Fushi exclaimed. "Welcome!" A worker at the restaurant welcomed you all. "If they were to come, I wouldn't be able to protect this village!" Fushi said worriedly.

"Calm down, Fushi. It'll be okay. She'll eat quickly even though I said not to." You said, glaring and narrowing your eyes at Pioran. "Yeah, we'll leave in a bit. Mister, got any beer?" Pioran called out at the bartender. You facepalmed yourself. "Pioran!" Fushi scolded.

- - -

Fushi sat outside of the town while Pioran was finishing up inside of the restaurant, and you were watching over her. "Hey. Where are the knockers now?" Fushi asked. "At point six kilometers northwest of here. But since the 4th, they've been buried underground, so I haven't been able to detect their movements." The black hooded man said. "Detect...? Are you always aware of where they are?" Fushi asked. "They feel like bugs crawling on your skin. As small eggs, you cannot notice them, but once they hatch, you are subject to great unease." The black hooded man said.

"Say it in a way I can understand..." Fushi said. "Yo!" Pioran shouted. You were walking back with Pioran and the donkey. "Oh." You said when you saw the black hooded man. "Long time no see, Misen." The black hooded man greeted. "Yeah. Any news on the knockers?" You asked. "Who are you guys talking to?" Pioran asked.

Fushi hesitated. "Umm... Well..." You started. Fushi looked into your eyes. "Misen, Fushi." Pioran said. You both looked at her, thinking you were in trouble. "Say anything." Pioran said with a soft smile on her face.

- - -

Night fell. You all were gathered around the makeshift camp fire you created.

"A black hooded man...! ...And he told you to become more powerful, in order to repel the knockers?" Pioran asked. "Yeah." Fushi said. "Wait! How come he never told me all that?" You asked. "One time he also said you weren't emotionally equipped to fight the knockers by yourself." Fushi said chuckling. "Hey! That's not nice!" You exclaimed. Pioran laughed.

"So? What do you want to do?" Pioran asked. You and Fushi thought about it.  I don't want to blindly follow his orders... But if the knockers were to attack again... Misen and I would be the only ones there to protect Pioran. Like he said, I can't win... As I am now. I don't know about Misen, though... Then, I will have no choice but to get stronger. That bastard! He led me to Pioran so I'd come to this conclusion! Fushi thought.

I don't know what I want. Should I stay with Pioran, or should I get stronger? I care about Pioran, though... Aghhh, this is so stressful! I don't want to leave Pioran...  You thought. Pioran saw the distressed look on your face, and felt bad. Fushi looked at you with concern in his eyes. "You don't have to decide right now." Fushi said. You calmed down.

"You know, I don't think that you need to protect me. I'm fine living a fickle reed's life." Pioran said smiling, digging into her food. Fushi took his hand away from yours. "So?" Pioran asked, still smiling. Is she really fine with that...? Fushi thought. You nodded at Pioran. "I see..." Fushi said.