Part 23 || Thank you.

The one who has come for the monster Gugu is none other than his crush, Rean!

Gugu had a cloth wrapped around his head to avoid Rean from seeing his face. "MMMMMMMM! HAAAAAAA! GUUUU---UH!" Rean grunted, trying to pull Gugu off the tree he was sticking to. "WHY WON'T YOU COME BACK?!" Rean shouted. Gugu hid behind the tree. "What are you saying, why won't I come back?! I'm a victim here!" Gugu shouted back. You were still sound asleep with your head on Fushi's lap. "The old man said he repented! He said he'd take the thing inside you for free!" Rean said. "FOR... FREE?!" Gugu asked. "So we should head back! C'mon, now's a good time!" Rean tried to persuade Gugu.

"Wait! Why does everyone want me back? What happened?" Gugu asked. Rean had a flashback of when she made food and the others didn't like it, so she came to look for Gugu. She shook off the thought and said, "We all need you. Because we love you!!" "R-really?! Even you?!" Gugu asked, in shock. "Yeah." Rean said happily. "But I wont go back." Gugu protested. "WHAT?!" Rean shouted. You made a noise in your sleep, almost waking up. Fushi death stared Rean and Rean smiled nervously.

"I threw away the mask. That means I threw away my humanity as well." Gugu said. "Wasn't that supposed to be a gag for the customers?" Rean asked, confused. "Sorry, I lied. It was to hide the injuries on my face." Gugu confessed. "I'm so sorry. And you're still hiding it...?" Rean asked. Rean snatched the cloth off of Gugu's face. "AH!!" Gugu yelled. Fushi covered your ears so you wouldn't wake up. "Wh-what are you doing?!" Gugu shouted. "ACK!" he yelled again when Rean tried to take it off again.

"HORRIBLE! PERVERT! EVIL!" Gugu said. "Why're you sticking to that tree like some bug? Who cares about your face?" Rean asked. "It matters to me! I don't even want to be seen!" Gugu said angrily. "By you..." he mumbled. Fushi removed his hands from your ears. "Even though you were showing it off before?" Fushi asked. "Hey, Fushi! Be quiet for a bit!" Gugu said. "What? So you just won't show it to me?" Rean asked madly.

You woke up from all the angry voices, eyes fluttering open. You sat up and leaned your head on Fushi's shoulder. "Then if you have a mask, will you stop acting like a bug?" Rean asked. "Well, that's not really..." Gugu started. "I'll go get it, so tell me where you left it. How about it?" Rean asked. "Gugu." Fushi said. "What is it?" Gugu asked. Fushi pointed to Gugu's heart. "You always look like your heart hurts when you talk to Rean. Will you feel better with the mask?" Fushi asked, putting his finger on Gugu's chest, oblivious to how embarrassed Gugu was. Gugu blushed. 

"WH-WH-WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?" Gugu asked, covering his blushing face. You stood up confidently. "I'll go find it!" you said. "Me too!" Fushi said. "H-Hey! Don't leave me behind!" Gugu shouted. "What weird people. Hehe. But they're so nice." Rean said. "Hey, should I show you my wound?" Rean asked. Gugu's eyes widened. "Wait..." he started. "My wound is pretty bad. Maybe you'll realize that your wound isn't bad enough for you to need to hide it." Rean said, taking off her sweater. "W-wait up!" Gugu said. It was a tiny scar on Rean's arm.

"See? Isn't it horrible?" Rean asked. "Of course not!" Gugu shouted. "Wha-? That's so mean! I was so worried about it!" Rean shouted. "Compared to my injury, that looks like a scratch!" Gugu protested. "Then show me what your injury looks like!" Rean yelled, trying to pull Gugu off the tree. "No! No!" Gugu said. "I can well affirm that your wound is nearly completely healed. So why are you so worried about it? Stupid! Stupid! There's a limit to overreacting!" Gugu shouted. "What..." Rean gasped, tears in her eyes.

Rean crouched to the floor and put her head in her arms. "Huh?!" Gugu said. "You say the same thing my parents always do..." Rean said. "Oh... I'm sorry... um... is it not going well with your parents?" Gugu asked. "It doesn't matter what my life is like. Cause I'd be overreacting." Rean said, tearing dripping down her cheeks. "Well that's... um... don't cry..." Gugu said, trying his best to comfort Rean. Fushi, Misen, come back quick!  Gugu thought. "It's so mean! My favorite color is purple, but they always buy me green stuff because it's the family color!" Rean continued. "I see..." Gugu said, not knowing what else to say.

"Isn't green fine?" Gugu asked. "That's not all! One time I painted a picture, and my mother hired an art teacher. I didn't like that, so I started sewing, and she hired a sewing teacher! I just want to do things freely! There were always people surrounding me. If I coughed, they would check my temperature. They'd make me eat food everyday even when I didn't want to. They'd combo my hair four times a day. Whenever I went outside to escape that stifling house, an attendant would follow. I've never had any time to be alone! As if I haven't been recognized as an individual! Whenever I'm in that house..." Rean said.

"You have some pretty nice parents, even though they're foolish, don't you?" Gugu asked. Rean paused. "You must have it tough. So tough that you need to chalk up on others' consideration for you as a misfortune so you can gloat about how unlucky you are!" Gugu retorted. "D-don't misunderstand! I wouldn't expect you to understand my values! Even this wound! I oonly got it because I was born into that house!" Rean said. "What?" Gugu asked. "Someone pushed me from behind!" Rean exclaimed.

"They said that it might have been someone who has a grudge against my father. And they wouldn't worry about it at all!" Rean continued. "That's wrong." Gugu said. "What? Did you just say that was wrong?" Rean asked. "No. I said that you were stupid." Gugu said. "Hey! How many times are you going to call me stupid in one day?!" Rean asked angrily. She then looked at Gugu's trembling body, and her eyes widened.

She sat with her back on the tree's trunk. "Hey, Myrr, did I say anything bad?" Rean asked her dog. "Nope, woof!" Rean said, pretending to be her dog. "Hey, why do you have an injury on your face?" Rean asked. "I won't say. If I say, you'll hate me." Gugu said. "What do you mean?" Rean asked. There was then silence. "Do you like me?" Rean asked. "I won't say. If I say, you'll hate me." Gugu said again. "You won't tell me anything!" Rean said. "I'm a monster. That's all you need to know." Gugu said. "Hmm...?" Rean inquired, looking at the mask she brought.

"Umm... hey! I brought this mask as a present for you!" Ryn said, picking up a stone mask. "Gramps said it's some legendary folk mask or something. Use it if you'd like." Rean said, placing the mask down next to Gugu. Gugu picked it up. "Nah, I don't need something like that." Gugu said. Rean got up and stretched. "You're pretty stupid too." she said smiling. Gugu looked at her. "I don't really care whether you're a monster or a human. You know, either way, you're you, aren't you?" Rean asked, hands on her hips. "Whether you expose everything or hide everything, it's weird either way, and I like it either way." Rean said, picking Myrr up. "That's you. You're only you." Rean said, letting Myrr lick her cheek.

"Why not come out? Do you intend to never look me in the eyes? I want to get to know you better. Even if you need to wear a mask all the way through." Rean continued, stroking Myrr. "You know... the wind is nice today... right?" Rean asked, letting the wind embrace her. Gugu put his mask on and came out. "Fushi and Misen are late, aren't they? Should we wait for them? Find them?" Rean asked. "Let's go." Gugu said. "Sorry for before. I said some mean things." Gugu apologzied.

"I don't recall." Rean said, walking away with Gugu.

Naked or masked, I'm still myself. The one who made me realize it was the girl so opposite to me.