episode XIV

The gang was gathered at a picnic table on school grounds. I was by the doors, alone. I didn't have the courage to walk up to them so I eavesdropped to what they were saying.

"It makes sense. JJ always stayed after class that must be when she did the maps." Dusty said to the others.

"Yeah to tidy up. This whole thing is bullshit anyways." Darren replied defensive. An urge in me made walk up to them. I was somehow confident that they would be responsive of having a chat. Talk things through. At least, some of them would.

"Why do you think the person who made the accusation wants to stay anonymous." Amerie declared trying to show them that I was clearly the victim of some pathetic joke.

"If someone's made this up. It's a pretty messed up thing to do." Missy replied.

"Yeah but why would someone even do that?" Ant added.

They all spotted me coming over the table. I was so nervous, I kept tugging on my skirt. Why did I wore this stupid skirt, it was way too short. Such a dumb idea, I looked ridiculous. Some didn't even look at me and others were clearly frustrated. Ant spotted me and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Hi." I paused. Everyone felt awkward by presence. "At least I got SLTs cancelled?" I joked, trying to smooth the tension. But I wasn't fully aware of how much it was the wrong thing to say. Most of them didn't really believed I was that innocent. Better safe than sorry, they must have thought. They couldn't risk beings friends with me if that meant I was possibly the creator of those maps that ruined their life and relationships.. After a few rounds of being questioned, I just left. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Babes." Amerie exclaimed as she saw I was leaving. She knew what I was going through, we were in the same social boat now. Well, maybe I was sinking further down right now  and I didn't want to drag her with me. So I left.

I jogged to the closest bathroom, I needed some peace. A safe space where no one could judge or gossip about me. I stayed crawled up on the toilet rethinking everything until I heard a knock on the door.

"I know you're in there. I do the same when I feel sad."

"I just need some time alone, Quin." I said through the stall.

"Music always helps me. I'll wait." She responded. I heard her back sliding down the door, she sat on the floor as the music from her phone echoed in the bathroom.

"I love Taylor Swift."

"Her lyrics cure us all of heartbreak."

We stayed there in silence, listening to the music. Quinni always knew how to make me feel better, it was always the little attentions. We had that special bond, she always listened to me even if no one else did. Quinni was just what I needed to feel better. At the end of the day, even with SLTs being cancelled, we were all called in another classroom. I sat at the front, alone.

"I thought this shit was cancelled." Spider exclaimed.

"Alright. Can everyone take their seats? Get off the table Spencer." Mrs. Woodsy entered the classroom as Spider did what she had just ordered him.

"Are we a full contingent today? Where's Malakai?" The principal asked to everyone.

"Uh... He's not here, Miss. He's gone my country." Missy replied, bringing news to everybody even to Amerie.

"Oh, like overseas?" Ant asked confused of why he would miss school.

"No, the bush."

Spider snickered, trying to hold his laughs.