episode XXXI

JUSTINE
I've always liked May. May meant spring and flowers and bees and sunsets. It also meant the end of the school which I was excited and nostalgic for. My mother was driving us to school. It was only 7 in the morning and the sun shun its brightest. I laid my arms on the window frame and rested my head on it, the sun hitting my face as I closed my eyes. I also liked that about May. I suddenly felt the car stopped and I opened my eyes to reveal Hartley's very own sign. I got out of the car and walked with my mother to the school's entrance. No one would have caught me walking with her at the beginning of the year. I realized how stupid that was to be ashamed of my mother. I was proud of her and I couldn't wait to follow her steps.

"Have a good day!" I exclaimed as we reached the doors and made my way to the opposite direction.

"You too!"

As I walked through the corridors, I heard some kind of commotion in the hall. I couldn't clearly see what or who it was since a group of people were circling, barricading it. I continued my way to my locker where my friends were waiting for me.

"Hello babes." I exclaimed to get their attention.

They each hugged me before I accessed my locker and opened it to put my things in it. I grabbed my French books and Maths books so I didn't have to go to my locker in between my two morning classes. I didn't really listen to their babbling until the bell rang making me close the door and follow my friend to our French course.

"You're ready for the pop quiz?" I asked to them.

"No." Both Amerie and Darren said as Quinni nodded yes.

I was ready too. I always loved french and I was good at it. It was easy for me to study and memorize everything. After I finished the test which took me about 45 minutes, I had the rest of the period free. I walked out of class and went to the picnic tables where I found Dusty hanging out. He probably had a free period this morning to study for exams.

"Hey." I smiled as I sat across him.

"Hey." He smiled.

I never really bonded with Dusty, we were friends by association. But none of my friends were done and I preferred his company over having to sit alone. I didn't need to be his best friend to see how distressed he was. Way more in his mind than usual.

"What's up?" I asked a bit worried.

"Oh, nothing. Stressed for the exams."

"Don't worry, I'm sure it's going to be alright." I smiled trying to reassure him.

He smiled right back at me before some of our friends joined us. Amerie and Quinni sitting at my sides as Darren and Malakai sat on the other.

"Oi! Did you hear why Spider's expelled?" Malakai exclaimed as if we already knew the news.

"What? Spider's expelled?" I frowned.

"Yeah. He wasn't in English this morning and I heard the teacher and Miss Woods whisper about it during our exam."

"So he won't be graduating?" Amerie asked.

"I don't think so." Malakai replied.

I looked up at Dusty now understanding why he was acting the way he did. He had just heard his best friend wasn't graduating with him. Probably even repeating the year because of what he did. And what did he do? I wondered. I spotted Ant walking inside the school so I grabbed my bag and followed him, running behind him.