episode XVI

"Can we just appreciate this drama free week we've been having." I said to my friends putting my sunglasses on my nose.

We were having lunch at the picnic tables outside. It had been a few days since the protest and today, my mother would teach her first SLTs class since she'd been back.

"Yes. I live for that. Drama makes me break out." Darren added while looking at their reflection with their pocket mirror, they were right we were in fact having a great week.

"You know it's bad luck to state facts that can ultimately turn into the opposite of what you just stated. So better touch some wood to try and overrule it." Quinni exclaimed as Amerie nodded in agreement.

"Okay Quin." I said as I touched the wooden picnic table, old crooked paint stayed on my palms. I brushed it off as I got up.

"I have to go talk to my mum. See you in SLTs." I said and left them to go meet my mother.

"Still weird hearing her call Miss Jones her mother." Amerie's voice echoed from behind, I chuckled at her comment.

I excitedly walked towards the classroom. When I arrived, he was there passing around loose white sheets and putting them on the tables. I hadn't talk to him since the protest. I guess you could say we certainly had a communication issue. And a bad timing. There seems to always be something coming up when we're close to finally get with one another. There's always something keeping us apart and I'm tired of it. I don't want to fight it anymore. Maybe it's time to let it go. Time to let him go.

"Hey, you."

I melted to the sound of his voice. If only it was that easy. I only smiled at him as a response not wanting to engage more. He only looked up for a few seconds to smile at me and returned to his task.

"Listen." He started. "I have something else to tell you."

He couldn't finish what he had to say since my mother entered the room, just a few minutes before the bell. She looked surprised seeing me.

"Justine, didn't you know? You're off the hook."

"Wait. I don't have to help you prep class anymore?"

"You boys are late." My mother said glancing behind me. I turned around to see who had just entered, it was Dusty and Ant.

"Sorry, Miss." They both responded in union. She gave them books to pass around the tables and they did their tasks as focused as Spider was executing his.

My mother walked with me outside of the room to have some privacy to talk.

"Why are they helping you?"

"Dentention's full. Now which one is the boy who's clothes you were wearing during the protest?"

"Mum!" I whispered, embarrassed. "I told you, it was my gym's clothes!"

"You know you scrunch your nose when you lie."

"That's not true."

"You just did it!" She pointed out. "Honey, you canne out of me seventeen years ago, I know you more than myself."

"Ew, mum."

The bell rang at the perfect time giving me the opportunity to escape this embarrassing conversation with my mother. The room was soon filled with the same SLTs as usual, all happy to be back. Students were sited at the tables, talking.