episode XXVIV

April 15th was a Saturday and my birthday. Birthdays were always important in my family, a very traditional party with cakes and presents. I've always loved it. It made me feel so loved like out of the 365 days, this one was mine only. It might sounds egocentric but for once, I enjoyed the attention. I was finishing getting ready at my desk when Ant opened the door to my room. A towel only resting around his waist and his wet hair dripping all over my bedroom's floor. I bit my lips when seeing his reflection in the mirror. He looked good. He bent down to where I was sitting and gave me a wet kiss on the temple.

"Go dry yourself." I chuckled. "You're ruining my makeup."

I pushed his torso and he backed up to sit on the bed. I felt his gaze on me and I blushed as I fixed my hair. He smiled and got dressed. I couldn't help but check him out through the glass.

"Don't mind me." I smiled and he smirked to my comment.

I finally finished getting ready. I wore beige trousers and a tight baby blue corset with some golden jewelry. I felt pretty confident in this outfit. I looked back at Ant and found him dressed in a tank top with satin sleep shorts. He also had sleep blindfold on his forehead.

"Which version of me is this?" I grinned as I stepped closer to him, putting a hand on his stomach.

"I'm sleepy JJ."

I laughed and so did he. Our moment interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.

"You look good." I kissed him as I ran downstairs to open the door to my guests.

When I opened it, Amerie, Darren and Quinni were all standing on the front porch.

"I'm teacher's pet JJ." Amerie said. She was dressed in a furry coat with animal prints leggings. She had a book and an apple as a prop.

"I'm slutty JJ." Darren exclaimed with almost no clothes on their body. I arched an eyebrow in confusion. "I just needed an acceptable reason for this outfit." They laughed.

"Guess mine!" Quinni said.

She was dressed with a black and white striped shirt and black trousers. She had a black hat and red heart shaped sunglasses.

"Taylor Swift JJ?"

She nodded in excitement and I laughed to the the memories of our moment in the school bathroom, listening to Taylor's music. My house was soon filled with multiple people, most of my friends were dressed up but the rest of the people weren't. Darren had invited more people from our school which I didn't mind, I only cared about having a great night. A great birthday. People kept on giving me shots, my hands were never empty. I always had a drink and it showed later in the night. I was pretty drunk, not passed out drunk like at New Year's but still. Suddenly, I felt a hand took mine and pushed me outside of my house and onto the porch.
Ant.
In his hands was a tiny lilac box with a beige ribbon on it.

"What is it?" I smiled.

"Well I'm not telling you, yeah. Open it."

I slowly loosen the ribbon and opened the box where laid a beautiful silver bracelet. I usually don't wear bracelets nor silver but this one was special. It had a charm attached to it. A book referencing to my future career. I gently touched it and my heart warmed itself. I loved it.

"Thank you, Ant."

I put the bracelet on my wrist and gave him a long peck on the lips. His lips were wet but cold and before returning to the party, I snatched another quick kiss on his lips making him chuckle. When entering, Amerie grabbed me by the shoulders and directed me towards the beer pong table or as I call it, the dining table.

"We're next." She shouted.

Harper and Sasha were playing against Dusty and Spider. The girls were currently winning until the boys did a trick shot and won their last three cups.

"You better ruin them." Sasha groaned as a result of her lost making me chuckle.

"Watch me."

Amerie and I replaced the red cups in a triangle and so did the guys. A feeling of competition took over my body, I wanted to beat them. I wanted to beat Spider so bad. Gave him a lesson, you know. I never understood what I would have gained from this but I just felt like it was something I needed to do.

"We won so we start." Spider cockily exclaimed as he gestured his hand meaning we needed to throw him the ping pong balls. I rolled my eyes at his usual annoying cockiness. After a few rounds, we were loosing the game and I was loosing my temper. Amerie didn't take it as serious, she would just laughed when we missed but I was taking it way too serious and still played bad.

"Your phone is ringing." Amerie shouted.

"What?"

She looked down at the table where my phone was and I turned around to see it lighten up.

"Break." I yelled as I took my phone.

"You can't do that!" Dusty protested, his arms in the air.

I stumbled my way to the back door and exited the house to find some silence. I answered.

"Hello?"

"Justine."

My heart sank to the sound of his voice. Once again, he knew how to ruin my night. I tried to trap the tears at the back of my eyes but my vision soon became blurry.

"Happy birthday, sweetie."

"Yeah." I gulped the lump in my throat, becoming dryer the more he talked to me.

"I can't believe you're eighteen. You're all grown up."

"I am." I sighed. "What do you want?"

"I can't ring my daughter on her birthday?"

"Sure. But you never ring. I didn't expect a call."

"I know, honey." He paused. "Your mum told me you had been accepted at college."

"Sorry, but don't start acting all paternal. You didn't for a year now. I have to go."

I hung up without listening to what he had to say. Being all alone in my backyard, I finally let myself shed a tear. I hated him. I hated how he abandoned me the past year. He had punched a hole in my heart and void was filling it each seconds. I couldn't take it anymore. So, I ran.