episode XXVI

"I cannot believe it took me almost dying for you to say the words back." Darren laughed from their bed.

"Too soon, D." I grinned.

Except I wasn't sure what the words I had say really meant. I love you too was a natural response, an intuitive one to the words Ant had said to me. But what did they really meant? What did they really feel like? Fireworks in my head or in my heart.

"It's my trauma, I deal with it how I want to."

It had been a few days since New Year's Eve and Darren had already been discharged from the hospital. But, by their very persistent father's recommendation, Darren was on bed rest. They clearly didn't mind since their father had their living room's television moved into their bedroom. Quinni, Amerie and I were hanging out, keeping Darren company. The four of us were squeezed in their queen size bed, all of our legs intertwined.

"Anyways, are you guys ready to return to school?" I asked them.

"Ugh, I've been dreading this moment since the first day of the holidays." Amerie groaned.

"I still have a week of bed rest." Darren proudly exclaimed. We were all jealous.

"How will we survive it without you, babes." I sarcastically responded.

Quinni rested her head on Darren's shoulder, pouting her lips. I knew how important Darren was to her, they were her safe space and I wished I could help her in any way. First days of school always stressed her out.

"You can FaceTime me on your way to school tomorrow, yeah?" Darren said to Quinni and she smiled.

"Okay guys, time to give our Darren some time to actually rest." Darren's father exclaimed as he firmly clapped his hand together while entering the room.

We hugged and said our goodbyes to our friend and exited their home. Quinni's father was picking her up as for Amerie and I, we started slowly walking. None of us wanting to get back to our houses.

"Do you want to get drunk and have some quality bounding time?" She asked, half-joking.

"Yes, please."

We both giggled and walked towards the convenience store where we bought candies, chips and four bottle of cheap white wine with Amerie's fake ID's. The sun was starting to set and we made our way to some children's park that was near the beach. Two bottles emptied and a full-on sugar rush, we were drunk swinging ourselves like little kids.

"Wait. Rewind the whole thing. Your father never wrote you after New Year's." Amerie shouted with a shocking face.

"He could be dead for all I know."

"I know he's your dad, but what a fucking jerk."

"Tell me about it. I will never ever resent him for falling out of love with my mother, I mean it happens I guess. But the guy left and didn't even called once his daughter."

"I hear you. I don't talk to my dad either. I see him like twice a year. But he sends me money on special occasions."

"Shit. I'm sorry."

"You know, maybe our fathers are the reason we have shitty taste in men."

"Blame it on the daddy issues."

We both bursted into laughing. We were completely transparent with one another and it felt so fucking real. Especially in a world where it's easier to add a filter to beautify our reality.

"Hold up. You're here talking about men and yet I saw you and Malakai on New Year's." I exclaimed while catching my breath.

Amerie chuckled and I saw the stars in her eyes and the color of her cheeks turning into a pale rose.