Chapter 7 - Support

No one's POV:

Groans fell from Jeongguk's mouth as he pushed past the extreme fatigue. Sweat beaded down his forehead and stained the grey tank top he was wearing.

However, the ravenet knew his destination was close and powered his legs to pump faster despite the aching muscles pounding nonstop.

As soon as Jeongguk reached his dad's house, he stopped running and bent over slightly, placing his hands on his knees to steady himself. Breathing in quick short breaths until eventually he was able to take longer ones.

After catching his breath, Jeongguk raised his hand to the door and knocked three times on it. He heard rustling from the inside and then the signature loud thumps of his dad's heavy feet.

Soon the door opened to reveal the smooth faced man of about fifty, he had jet black hair and a slightly chiseled jaw. The kind raven eyes shined through and they glowed with a flowering brightness when he saw his son. Jeongguk shared many features with his dad- both in personality and countenance.

"Jeongguk!" Kang-min bellowed as soon as he saw his son. A massive smile stretched across his face as Jeongguk stepped forward to wrap his arms around his dad.

"How are you dad?" The Marine asked as Kang-min led the way into the small one bedroom bungalow.

"As good as can be expected," The man sighed as he walked into the kitchen and went to fill up the kettle.

"I know it's hard dad but you've still got me," Jeongguk comforted as he pulled out a chair from the kitchen island. Pain reflected in both men's eyes as Jeongguk leaned over to pat his father's shoulder gently.

"I know Jeongguk. . . I know," Kang-min replied as he tried not to think about Jeongguk's next shipment later today. Kang-min loved his son but being separated often was something that had always been quite difficult to accept, especially since Kang-min was now alone most of the time.

"So, how are things going with you kook?" Kang-min questioned as he turned around to reach for the cupboard that contained the mugs.

"I'm doing okay. I haven't really had much free time but I'm keeping on top of my fitness regime which is good. Sorry I haven't been around to visit you much dad, things have been hectic since I got back," Jeongguk said as he watched his father make the tea. The ravenet gratefully accepted the hot beverage with a smile as he wrapped his hands around the hot mug.

"That's good. Have you heard from your mother at all?" Kang-min queried as he walked round, cup in hand, to take the empty seat next to Jeongguk by the kitchen island.

"Nothing. She's blanking me again but I'm not really surprised. She hasn't been talking to anyone on our side of the family since the divorce," Jeongguk answered as a sad smile stretched across his face, the regret and dismay clearly evident.

"Well that's to be expected, she got what she wanted and now she is moving on. That's how she is, she uses you and throws you away after the game no longer becomes fun," Kang-min said as he sighed, remembering the tough divorce and the way his ex-wife rinsed him of all the money he had.

"Oh that reminds me, I have your money dad," Jeongguk spoke as Kang-min gave his son a stern look.

"Jeongguk I told you that I can manage by myself. If anything I should be paying you back," Kang-min told his son as he groaned when Jeongguk pulled out an envelope filled with cash from his back pocket.

"Dad I know you can't manage by yourself, you lost the house, the cars and a huge chunk of your savings. The court ruling was completely biased just because of mum's new boyfriend. They ruled in favour of her and left you out to dry. Now whether you like it or not, you are taking this money. I'm helping you and I don't want any of it back," Jeongguk justified as he slid the money over towards his father.

Kang-min accepted with a degree of bitterness. Yes, he did need financial aid but he didn't want to rely on his son. Jeongguk has been through enough and everytime Kang-min received money, he always tried to stop him.

However, just like his father, Jeongguk was stubborn and even though Kang-min didn't want to accept it, the ravenet always gave him the money because that was better than seeing his father go through hardship.

Despite how much Kang-min denied it, he did struggle to keep up with the bills and Jeongguk supporting him made a big difference to his stress and resolved a lot of the financial issues.

Kang-min was able to use the money to pay off debts and keep on top of incoming bills while he recovered from the crippling divorce costs.

Jeongguk didn't mind giving the money and that was what made it so hard, Kang-min could never deny him and although he did at first, eventually he gave up and just chose to be grateful for such a generous and noble son.

"Thank you Jeongguk," Kang-min uttered as he pulled Jeongguk into a hug, locking his arms around his son's back and tightening the grip.

"It really isn't a problem dad," The ravenet returned as he smiled and curled into the embrace. Jeongguk truly didn't mind and in fact, he wished he could do more to help his struggling father. Kang-min had helped Jeongguk many times in his childhood and this was nothing compared to how strong his father had to be when Jeongguk was growing up.

Although it didn't leave much for Jeongguk in the end, helping his dad while he could was much more important. The Marine would forever regret it if his dad somehow ended up in trouble after the crippling divorce and he didn't act.

Kang-min has done more than his fair share of looking after Jeongguk in his teen years when his mother would go away for days on end.

His father was always there and giving a few hundred dollars a month was quite literally nothing in comparison.

Thinking about just how much his father had done for him made Jeongguk hold onto his dad even tighter.

"I love you you know. Thank you for everything. You may not realise it but you were the best dad in the world, I don't even think I would be here without you," Jeongguk said as he pulled back from the hug, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

"Oh Kooks, you know I love you as well. I was only the best father I could be because you were so important to me Jeongguk. I wouldn't have been able to have the strength to get the divorce without you. So really, thank you," Kang-min returned as he patted his son's shoulder.

"How do you always end up getting me in tears?" Kang-min joked as he chuckled slightly. Jeongguk did the same as he smiled lovingly at his father.

Neither would ever agree on who was stronger, better and more supportive but that was what made them so strong.

They helped each other through the tough times and never let anything or anyone get in between them.

Ever.