Chapter 35 - Gathering

No one's POV:

"So are you two thinking about having kids?" Jeongguk's cousin- Mira- asked as she took a bite of her burger. Her jet black hair whipped in the soft breeze when she looked over towards Taehyung with a smile.

The question nearly knocked the wind out of Taehyung and his eyes grew twice the size as he looked over at his husband. Jeongguk stifled a laugh at the dramatic reaction as he cleared his throat.

No one really seemed to notice how embarrassed the brunet had gotten by the question and the two husbands couldn't have been more thankful.

Luckily, this was a textbook question that the two had spent hours trying to get straight.

"We are thinking about it but we know that adoption will be difficult. Taehyung and I have agreed to wait a few years before we put a lot of thought into it." Jeongguk said, trying to exude a relaxed demeanor about the whole thing. Although it was one of his rehearsed responses, the words seemed natural enough for everyone to mutter words of agreement.

The barbeque had gone well so far and both Kang-min and Soo-Yun were also making good conversation- which the two husbands couldn't have been happier about.

Mostly Jeongguk's family had turned up since it is bigger than Taehyung's so quite a few of the marine's cousin, nieces and nephews were playing in the garden harmoniously.

"Uncle Jeongguk!" A child screamed as he basically sprinted towards the startled male. A ball was clutched in his right hand as the left flailed next to him.

"What's up Dae-hyun?" The ravenet responded as he maneuvered his wheelchair to face the exhausted boy.

"Pleaseeeee can you play with me? You said you would after you finished eating." The boy said excitedly, pointing at the empty paper plate that was in front of Jeongguk. A pout emerged on the boy's face as he stuck out his bottom lip.

The stoic marine's kryptonite.

A pouty Dae-hyun- who he found it impossible to say 'no' to.

"Honey leave Jeongguk alone, he's still got his injury." Mira said to her son, getting an approving nod from her husband.

Dae-hyun huffed as he looked at his uncle solemnly. Although Jeongguk could walk fairly well with the help of his cane, it still wasn't a good idea to do any kind of sport.

However, Jeongguk really did have a soft spot for his cousin's son so he gave in and heaved himself up from his wheelchair.

"Come on little man." Jeongguk announced as he grabbed his cane that was resting against the table.

"Be careful Jeongguk!" Taehyung shouted when his husband was walking with Dae-hyun over to an empty space in the garden.

The marine just shot Taehyung a smirk as he ruffled his nephew's charcoal black hair. Winking, Jeongguk looked away from his husband and leant on his cane to walk steadily.

The two boys then began to throw a ball between them, with Dae-hyun giggling as he ran to catch it.

Taehyung looked on lovingly at the two, snorting when the foam ball nearly hit Jeongguk in the head.

"Kooks is really great with kids, you know?" Mira whispered to the brunet beside her. She smiled knowingly when she realised Taehyung hadn't heard her. He was far too preoccupied with the scene in front of him. The male's eyes were fixed on his husband as he admired him.

Jeongguk's muscles flexed as he pulled back his arm and straightened it to release the ball. A slight sweat had built up on the marine from the warm sunlight and light exercise. Jeongguk's hair had grown out a bit more now so it flowed down to the middle of his neck. The jet black locks swayed gently as the wind pushed them, revealing the male's full side profile.

Taehyung could not take his eyes off of the male and pretty soon, Jeongguk saw the intense stare out of the corner of his eye.

A wink was sent Taehyung's way from his husband as the marine chuckled at how he caught Taehyung looking at him. The brunet just rolled his eyes and mouthed 'stop it' before reaching for his glass and sipping the water in it.

Mira watched the exchange, not offended at all by being ignored but actually grateful that Jeongguk had found happiness. It hadn't always been smooth sailing for the marine since his parents' divorce and it was amazing that Jeongguk had someone to rely on. Mira couldn't be happier for her cousin because it seemed like the two husbands adored their partner unconditionally.

It was a blessing to see real love in this world.

Clearing her throat, Mira asked her question again after she knew she had Taehyung's attention.

"Yeah I haven't really seen him around children before but it's sweet the way he humours Dae-hyun." Taehyung answered honestly, slightly surprised that Jeongguk is so tolerant and mindful.

"Dae-hyun always looks forward to seeing Jeongguk since he is away so frequently. I can barely keep my son away to be honest. He asks to go over often but Dae-hyun doesn't know the extent of Jeongguk's pain." Mira explained, a tinge of sadness echoing in her words. It wasn't like Jeongguk would ever be honest about how much agony he suffers with anyone, let alone his precious nephew.

The way Jeongguk saw it, no one could help anyway, so why burden them with his complaints. Nothing would change so he always just sucked it up, not letting the pain show on his face- always hiding it with a smile.

"Well Jeongguk is able to do much more now. The physio is paying off and Dae-hyun should be able to visit a bit more often. It would definitely cheer Kooks up. He can get anxious sometimes and Dae-hyun would easily help with the loneliness." Taehyung replied, wanting his husband's life to go back to as normal as possible.

With Taehyung still working his regular shifts throughout the week, albeit not as much as previously, Jeongguk was home alone very often.

Too often for Taehyung's liking.

Although, things were already starting to brighten up for Jeongguk and Taehyung.

Not only had the marine's leg healed properly, the physiotherapy has regained most of the motion in Jeongguk's leg. Walking had become easier and soon enough, running won't be completely out of the question too. Sure, it would take time but Jeongguk had plenty of it.

As for the living situation, both husbands have become a custom to being together so often.

It felt natural. Normal. Easy.

Like it was meant to be that way.

There haven't been loads of arguments and really, there have been some great memories made.

Ones that they both want to keep on making.

But that begged the question how long do fairytales really last?

And when will reality murder the dreams that try to blossom?