Chapter 18 - Heartbreak

No one's POV:

After opening the letter,  Taehyung waited anxiously for the phonecall that would confirm any further details.

The brunet's head was spinning in panic. No one knew about the fake marriage and the only thing Taehyung had to go off of was Jeongguk's father's address.

Panic ensued Taehyung's entire being as he thought about the state Jeongguk must be in.

Alone and injured.

Suddenly, Taehyung's phone lit up and started to vibrate vigorously. An unknown phone number from Germany was calling. The brunet automatically assumed this was something to do with Jeongguk.

Taehyung quickly picked up his phone and swiped the little green icon up to accept the call.

"Hello?" The brunet spoke after bringing the phone to his ear.

"Hi, is this Jeon Taehyung?" The man spoke, slight pity seeping into his tone.

"Yes,"

"This is Captain Curtis, Rear Detachment Commander for the 1st Battalion, 1st Marines. Sir I'm calling you because your husband has been wounded in action. He's going to be transferred from Germany to the Naval Medical Centre in San Diego," Captain Curtis explained, relaying new information about where Jeongguk was that wasn't contained in the letter.

"I-is he okay?" Taehyung stuttered out, biting his lip to contain the sobs that threatened to spill out of his lips.

This wasn't about him, it was about his husband. He had to be strong.

"His leg was injured during an IED detonation. He's currently undergoing surgery. . . " The man began but Taehyung's ears blanked out whatever he was saying. Instead of Captain Curtis's voice, a sharp ringing errupted in Taehyung's ears.

Panic and worry grasped onto Taehyung's heart as he realised this was serious. Very serious.

Jeongguk had explained the severity of IED detonations. Death, paralysation, amputation.

This was horrific.

Taehyung could only imagine how scary the blast would have been, the ground exploding under the Marines' feet. More than one probably being caught in the fierce detonation.

In their various communications, the two husbands had discussed what to do if the worst happened. They decided that carrying on the marriage would be best, until Jeongguk was able to carry on life as normal. Should the Marine not come back, Taehyung would carry on the façade to protect Jeongguk's honour.

". . . He'll be back in America in a few days, Mr Jeon," Taehyung heard the voice of Captain Curtis coming back into focus.

"O-okay thank y-you," The brunet stuttered out before ending the call.

Taehyung tried to manage his breathing as he began to search for the little slip of paper that contained Jeongguk's dad's address.

The little brunet looked everywhere, in notebooks, in stacks of paper, his coat pocket and every single drawer in his home.

There was nothing. Taehyung wracked his brain, trying to think of where he had put the slip of paper. Jeongguk gave him one thing to do and he couldn't even manage that.

Taehyung felt so useless right now.

"Shit shit shit. Where the hell would I have put it!" Taehyung shouted as he ran over to his sofa and began to check down the sides in desperation.

The male's breath was laboured as tears rolled down his cheeks. The panic, worry, stress and heartache was getting to him.

"Dammit Taehyung, think! Come on what did you do?" The brunet said to himself as he perched on the sofa with his head in his hands.

Everything was going wrong.

Taehyung tapped his feet anxiously on the ground as he tried to recall what had happened the day Jeongguk left. It was months ago and it felt quite pointless but right now, Taehyung didn't have anything else to go off of.

That's when the epiphany occurred.

"MY PHONE CASE. It's in my phone case!" Taehyung shouted as he ran over to the coffee table and picked up the device.

The brunet popped off the black case from the phone and inside laid a little note with an address on. Taehyung kept on muttering how stupid he was under his breath, remembering what he thought that day.

Taehyung remembered thinking he was so smart, putting the slip of paper somewhere safe- where he'd always have access to it. Apparently the safe place was so safe, not even Taehyung knew where it was.

Knowing the information, Taehyung quickly locked up his apartment and made his way down to his car. The brunet sped off to Jeongguk's father's house and before no time, he arrived.

The car screeched as it pulled up outside Jeongguk's father's house and Taehyung immediately unbuckled his seatbelt. The brunet clambered out of his car and bolted up the driveway, knocking on the door of the small house.

Eventually, a man appeared, his figure slightly blurry and distorted through the thick glass of the door.

"Hello?" The man said after opening the door. His confusion was clear, after all- why was a random boy standing there, exhausted on his doorstep?

"Hi, I'm looking for Jeon Kang-min." Taehyung stated, looking up at the tall man. He very much resembled Jeongguk with his dark, charcoal eyes and slick jet black hair. A few wrinkles had formed here and there, a sign that the man was older, but other than that, there was a youthfullness about him.

Maybe it was his smile or the way his eyes held so much kindness? Either way, Taehyung found the resemblance between Jeongguk and his father uncanny.

"This is he," Kang-min stated, somewhat curious and confused about what the boy was here for.

"I need to talk to you about your son, Jeongguk, sir," Taehyung replied, a sad glint in his eye about the news he was about to unveil.

"Is he alright?" Kang-min asked, worry taking over. Jeongguk wasn't reckless and he wasn't even in the country right now and yet the look in Taehyung's eye gave off pure, unbridled hurt and anxiety.

"No um- he- he is in hospital. While he was on a mission an IED detonated. Jeongguk's legs were badly injured. He is in surgery right now and will be back in America in a few days," Taehyung said all at once unable to look Kang-min in the face while delivering the sensitive news.

Horror appeared on the shocked man's face.

His son could have died.

However, the strange boy's comment raised more questions than answers.

He knew Jeongguk had deployed but if something was to happen then the Marines would have contacted him. Why would they have told this man instead of his family? Instead of his own father?

"How do you know this?" Kang-min whispered, still shocked by the news of his son's injury.

"The Marines contacted me to inform me of Jeongguk's state," Taehyung answered, not quite brave enough say the answer that Kang-min is looking for.

"But why did they contact you?" Kang-min reiterated, still searching for answers.

Taehyung decided that he would have to tell Jeongguk's father about the marriage. It was going to be risky since Kang-min is ex-military police. The brunet knew this was going to look suspicious because of how quickly the marriage came together.

However, putting it off for longer was probably even more suspicious. Taehyung gulped before he looked up to the man, biting down on his lip and fiddling with his fingers.

"They contacted me because- because I'm Jeongguk's partner," Taehyung stuttered out, still reluctant to give away the full story.

"What?"

"I'm Jeongguk's husband,"