Chapter 19 - In Sickness And In Health

No one's POV:

Taehyung sat anxiously in the waiting room, staring at his clasped hands to try and ease the pain. Little sniffles made their way out of the brunet as he tried to conceal his melancholy state.

Kang-min sat there too, unable to speak- he didn't know what to say to Taehyung to try and comfort him. Probably because Kang-min needed comfort himself.

The two had gotten along well after explaining everything about the marriage. How 'quickly' the two husbands fell in love and that led to an impromptu marriage ceremony. Kang-min seemed to believe Taehyung, although he was dubious at first.

But now though, no words could be said. The two men had nothing to do but wait and it stabbed away at their hearts. It was gut wrenching- just sitting there doing nothing while Jeongguk was dealing with so much.

The doctors were unsure if he would ever be able to walk again, however it was far too soon to tell.

After what felt like hours, a doctor appeared in front of the two worried men and told them that Jeongguk was conscious and ready to meet visitors.

Immediately, Taehyung jumped up, overjoyed at the thought of seeing Jeongguk safe and sound after so many days of being worried sick.

Taehyung followed the doctor closely, Kang-min trailing close behind. Soon enough, they all reached Jeongguk's room and entered the tiny space.

Kang-min and the doctor entered first, blocking Taehyung from Jeongguk's view which caused the ravenet to forrow his eyebrows.

"Dad- where's Taehyung?" Jeongguk rasped, still slightly disoriented. The Marine thought he would see Taehyung here and the thought that he wasn't hurt more than Jeongguk was going to let on. His husband should have been the one that was contacted, so where was he?

"I'm right here," Taehyung announced as he stepped out from behind the two bulkier men. Tears formed inside of the two husbands eyes when they saw each other.

Although Taehyung was ecstatic about seeing Jeongguk safe and sound. The sight in front of Taehyung was utterly heartbreaking.

Jeongguk was covered in scratches and bruises littered his tan skin. He looked so weak and frail. A stark contrast of the strong man Taehyung was used to seeing. Tubes and wires were connected everywhere but the most heartbreaking part of it all was the state of Jeongguk's legs.

They were bandaged and propped up in a holster. The thick white material completely covered Jeongguk's legs. Pity and worry shone in Taehyung's eyes.

The ravenet relied so much on his legs.

He couldn't stand up, let alone run marathons anymore.

Jeongguk's face looked tired as tears welled in his eyes at the sight of his family. They all had so much concern for him and it showed in the way they immediately approached his bed to sit by him.

"Son-" kang-min began but his voice got caught in his throat, choking up at the sight of such a strong person become so small.

"Dad- I- it's so good to see you. Both of you," Jeongguk uttered, finding it a little hard to speak.

Kang-min lowered himself onto the chair beside his son's bed, Taehyung following suit on the other side, and grasped Jeongguk's hand.

"I thought I was going to lose you, son," kang-min spoke again, tears streaming down his face at the mere thought of never seeing his precious son again.

The three men continued to speak to each other about how thankful they were that could see each other. Tears poured out of their eyes as they thought of a world without Jeongguk in it.

The ravenet continued to assure them that he was okay and that he would recover. Although deep down he knew that was somewhat of a lie. Jeongguk knew the state of his legs- they were completely shattered and healing was going to be a long and tedious process.

However, right now Jeongguk didn't care about that because he was back with the people that mattered the most to him.

After lots of talking and catching up, Kang-min excused himself to let the two husbands have some privacy.

Taehyung reached over to hold Jeongguk's hand, the two husbands holding onto each other to assure themselves that the other was really there.

"How is everything Tae?" Jeongguk asked honestly, wanting to know what he had missed while he hadn't been in contact with Taehyung.

"I haven't really done much to be honest. I've started selling some of my artwork and my diabetes has been much more manageable. I haven't had to tell anyone about our deal so don't stress yourself out about that. But enough about me- tell me honestly- are you okay?" Taehyung replied, quickly catching Jeongguk up on the essentials.

"I- I'm struggling. It still feels like I am there sometimes, right before the explosion. It was so horrifying Tae." Jeongguk said honestly, blinking away the tears that formed.

"Do you remember all of it?" Taehyung asked, wondering how scarred Jeongguk was because of the event.

"Every single second. It keeps repeating in my mind. I've never seen something so gruesomely horrible Tae. The sand flying up into the air obscured my vision but t-the blood i-it-" Jeongguk began but Taehyung gently shushed him while grasping onto his bandaged hand, even tighter than before, cutting the male off.

"Jeongguk you don't have to talk about it if it is too difficult," The brunet stated, choking up at the sight of his husband looking so dead inside. Jeongguk's eyes held a deep grief that absolutely shattered Taehyung's heart.

"I-I tried to stand up but m-my legs they felt so numb a-and cold. I could hear muffled shouts of the other Marines but m-my ears were almost completely filled by ringing. Tae it was so h-horrible," Jeongguk continued on reciting the tragic events after receiving a supportive nod from Taehyung.

The brunet didn't know how to reply to that. It was almost certain that Jeongguk had some kind of PTSD from all that had happened and a psychiatrist was going to come in the next few days to assess him. The doctor seemed fairly certain and from what Taehyung had heard, he is too.

There truly were no words to make this better. Jeongguk had seen what no man should see and now the trauma would stick with him for an immeasurable amount of time.

Taehyung just leaned in, giving his husband a light hug so he wouldn't feel any pain.

"We're going to get through this. All of us will be here to support you Kooks- me, your father, Jimin- everyone," Taehyung stated, meaning every word.

After all this time, the husbands had become quite close and seeing Jeongguk like this made Taehyung want to help- Taehyung wanted to take care of his husband.

Fake marriage or not.

It's the humane thing to do.

However, once Taehyung pulled back out of the calming embrace, he saw the grief stricken face of Jeongguk.

There was a remorsefulness in his eyes that the brunet had never seen before. It was like some kind of pity- as if Taehyung unknowingly said or did something.

The soft smile on Taehyung's lips slowly faded away once he realised something was dreadfully wrong. The brunet's eyes lost their shine as concern glanced over them.

No one had told Taehyung.

His obliviousness was more than enough proof.

The Marine gulped thickly.

Did no one think to inform Taehyung?

Apparently not.

That just made a hard time become ten times more difficult.

Jeongguk could hardly formulate the words for his next sentence. But he had to- someone had to. The Marine mentally prepared himself for the devastating pain that was going to befall Taehyung in a matter of seconds.

"What's wrong?" Taehyung uttered, picking up on Jeongguk's change in mood.

The Marine couldn't even reply.

Finding the words was just far too difficult to form

After all, how do you tell your husband that his best friend died?