Chapter 22 - Home

No one's POV:

Today was the day Jeongguk would officially move in.

Most of the ravenet's belongings were already at Taehyung's apartment but Jeongguk had only just been given the all clear to be released from the hospital.

Various ramps and handles had been added to Taehyung's apartment so Jeongguk could get around easily. As well as some of the male's personal belongings gradually being added into the space.

They hadn't even begun to discuss how living together would work, after all, Taehyung only has one bedroom in his small apartment.

But right now, picking Jeongguk up from the hospital was Taehyung's top priority. The Marine had made a quick recovery and life could finally start to get back to normal again.

As Taehyung pulled into the all too familiar parking lot outside of the hospital, he thought about how he wouldn't miss this drive at all.

Even if you were visiting, you had to pay for parking and Taehyung was more than done with that scam to rinse every last bit of money out of him.

Still, seeing Jeongguk and making sure he was okay took precedence and if paying twenty dollars for three hours was what had to happen- then so be it.

Walking up to the revolving doors, Taehyung sighed deeply. Seeing Jeongguk struggling so much just seemed to get worse and worse.

Although the ravenet's condition had improved significantly, Jeongguk's mental state was becoming increasingly alarming.

It was the little things that made Taehyung so concerned. Sometimes Jeongguk would just stare out the window blankly- as if the sky held some kind of answer he was searching for.

The Marine had also lost some of his humour. Jeongguk just couldn't bring himself to laugh- or even smile- on occasion.

While these symptoms had improved significantly since being in the hospital, it was clear Jeongguk had grown to be much more reserved.

This time, Jeongguk was no different.

After Taehyung signed in, he made his way to his husband's room and found Jeongguk in almost the exact same state he left him in.

Many of the bandages have gone since Jeongguk was first hospitalised but small scratches and scars still littered his body. The ravenet was laying down in the small, white bed with his eyes gazing out the large window.

Even as Taehyung entered, the male's eyes remained fixed on the big, fluffy clouds that roamed outside. It was like Jeongguk was deaf to the outside world.

"Kookie?"

"Huh. . . Oh. Hey Tae," Jeongguk replied, snapping out of his trance. His gaze travelled over to his husband and the glint of life, that had for some time been lost, returned.

The distant orbs grew brighter as if beginning to smile. That was something that Taehyung thought would never return.

For a long time now, Jeongguk had gave off the impression that nothing mattered anymore. Hopelessness seemed to overtake him until it nearly consumed him completely.

After everything that had happened, the Marine just seemed to have given up. But Taehyung didn't blame him, the horrors of war and his wounds were fresh- not to mention he had witnessed the death of his good friend.

"Are you ready to go Kook?" Taehyung asked as he stepped closer to the hollow male.

"More than ready," Jeongguk replied as a small smile played on his lips. The brunet smiled back, delighted to see some emotion resurfacing in his husband.

Taehyung knew the hospital was lonely- with visiting hours being from 1pm to 5pm on selected days. In retrospect, it really was no surprise that Jeongguk had lost himself.

The hospital was a maze of white and Jeongguk could hardly leave his bed. Not to mention the vivid scars of bloodshed looming still, which was probably all Jeongguk thought about all day.

It was more than clear that being in such a mundane and gloomy environment had taken its toll on the strong male. Jeongguk was just a shell of what he used to be- numbness and emotionlessness were futile enemies.

Maybe that's the irony though.

After all, you can't break a person that's already broken.

Taehyung hoped that would change, however. Getting out of the damned hospital had to help. There was no way being in here was healing anything but Jeongguk's leg so Taehyung hoped a homely environment would be the catalyst for a speedy recovery.

Jeongguk is still strong because of all the exercise he used to do, so his upper body is impressive. However, his legs have become smaller and visually weaker than before. It wasn't by much but it was enough for both of the husbands to notice.

Although, the ravenet was able to manoeuvre himself to the edge of the bed using just his arms, Jeongguk face contorted into immense pain when he tried to use his legs.

"Jeongguk! Hey hey, just- let me help alright. You know you can't do this by yourself," Taehyung called when he noticed the male overexerting himself.

The ravenet gave no reply as a downcast expression painted his face. Taehyung moved to help his husband, being careful not to go too quickly.

Eventually, Jeongguk was able to sit in his wheelchair and the pair could finally leave. Jeongguk went round the room, checking that there was nothing left behind. He only found a singular picture frame with a photo of Taehyung smiling in it.

It was from ages ago, when Taehyung decided to paint but somehow ended up with white acrylic on his nose. The male was grinning from ear to ear, his boxy smile taking over his entire face.

The two husbands couldn't stop laughing after Jeongguk took the photo and Taehyung finally realised what the ravenet was laughing about.

A small smile spread across Jeongguk's face when he saw the picture. He didn't want to pack it with his other things, afraid that he wouldn't have anything to be happy about in his dreaded hospital room.

"I'm ready now,"

"Come on then, let's get out of here," Taehyung replied after moving over to Jeongguk and standing behind his wheelchair.

The brunet then gripped onto the handlebars and began to push his husband out of the room.

After meandering through long and monotonous white corridors, the two eventually reached the exit.

A small smile graced Jeongguk's face when the wind blew its freshness over his skin.

The light air was freeing.

"I haven't been outside like this for some time now, you know," Jeongguk spoke, his voice barely a whisper.

Taehyung swallowed harshly at that because he knew what his husband said was true. Getting out of bed was hard enough, let alone being able to go outside. Many of Jeongguk's first weeks were spent staring out of the same window for hours on end.

None of the nurses ever had enough time to take Jeongguk outside for very long. That meant Taehyung was one of the only people able to do it.

The brunet slowly moved his hand to Jeongguk's shoulder and squeezed lightly when he felt tears pricking his eyes at what Jeongguk had said. However, Taehyung just swallowed thickly, letting go of the emotion because right now marked a new beginning.

A time where Jeongguk could begin to heal his wounds properly and Taehyung could stop worrying so much.

The deal the two had seemed to be long forgotten but it loomed darkly in the back of their minds.

No one wanted to bring it up, afraid that they would lose someone they had grown to cherish.

So for now, the two husbands chose to forget about why they even knew each other in the first place.

After all, why would they ruin something so good?