Chapter 21 - Broken Promises

No one's POV:

After nearly everyone had left, excluding Jimin's family, Taehyung saw Namjoon out of the corner of his eye.

The boy was walking quite aimlessly at an incredibly slow pace. To put it frankly, Namjoon looked lost.

It felt like everything had been taken away from him.

Prematurely at that.

It wasn't Jimin's time to go and even though Namjoon feared the worst, he never expected his boyfriend to die.

Despite knowing the danger and risk that Jimin took on daily, Namjoon was still shocked to hear the news. Nothing could prepare anyone for losing the love of their life, no matter the circumstances.

Losing someone so abruptly caused turmoil in Namjoon. He couldn't eat, sleep or bring himself to leave his house for the past week.

Everything felt like so much effort and the tiniest of things reminded the male of Jimin.

Namjoon walked with heavy footsteps, the grass crushing beneath his feet. Tears welled up in his eyes when he stuffed his hands in his pockets, trying to find even a smidgen of warmth at such a frosty and dark time in his life.

The fresh air blew coldly, causing Namjoon to shiver and duck his head into his scarf.

Today was unseasonably cold.

The sky was a murky grey. Clouds covered the area with no blue to be seen.

No colour.

No life.

Everything seemed to have a monochrome undertone to it. Even the flowers were wilting slightly in the melancholic atmosphere. It was as if even nature could detect the harshness and grief of the people in the cemetery.

Taehyung could hardly stand the slight any longer. It hurt to even look at the lost soul. The brunet couldn't even imagine how it felt to actually be him.

It put everything into perspective. Although it didn't seem like it- Jeongguk was the lucky one of that mission.

A few had died in the explosion and they were the ones in close distance to it. Jeongguk happened to be a bit further away and turned at an angle so that only one leg took most of the damage.

The two husbands could still be together- they had the choice to.

Namjoon didn't get that choice.

He was stuck in this miserable reality with no foreseeable escape. Jimin didn't even get the chance to propose like he wanted to.

"WAIT! We don't have rings. I don't have an engagement ring. Jeongguk that's going to look really bad," Taehyung said alarmed as he whispered the last bit to Jeongguk.

"Don't worry, I thought you wouldn't have thought this far ahead. You can borrow mine. I was going to give it to Namjoon after I get back from this tour so until then. . . This is yours," Jimin stated as he pulled out a box that contained a beautiful gold engagement ring with a diamond crystal in the middle.

"Oh Jimin I can't take-"

"No, I want you to have it," Jimin cut Taehyung off as he slipped the ring onto his best friend's ring finger.

"I have the rest of my life to give this to Namjoon- so just take it,"

The couple had missed out on so much and Namjoon didn't even know Jimin's intentions for marriage.

Looking down at the engagement ring resting on his finger, Taehyung felt guilty from taking it from Jimin.

Namjoon definitely needed this more than him.

"I'll be back in a second Kook," The brunet whispered as he squeezed Jeongguk's hand before leaving his side.

The ravenet just nodded affirmatively as he watched Taehyung walk towards Namjoon, more than pleased that the two had gotten on so well in his absence.

Taehyung walked quickly towards the sad male, coughing lightly once he was behind him.

Namjoon seemed to snap out of his trance when the brunet made the noise, looking slightly apologetic for being a bit oblivious to his surroundings.

"Hey Tae," Namjoon said, his voice rough and coarse- undoubtedly from crying too much.

"Hi Joon," Taehyung replied as he stepped forward to hug the dejected male.

"It's going to be alright," The brunet whispered into his friends ear as he tightened the embrace.

"I-i know, it just feels like everything in my life has fallen apart. I don't know what to do with myself in all honesty," Namjoon said, pulling away from the hug. The male sighed at the end, his breath fanning out into the frosty air.

The biting cold filled Namjoon's lungs with every breath he took as he tried to calm himself down. The warm exhale was more palatable, but it did nothing to steady the turmoil digging at his heart like poisonous arrows of sorrow.

"I- I just miss h-him s-so much T-tae. He was my everything. A-and n-now I'll never g-get to s-see him again," Namjoon stuttered out, his words muffled by the thick scarf wrapped around his neck.

The emotions were palpable and Taehyung could barely listen to the heartbreaking way Namjoon described his grief.

Bereavement is truly something you can never prepare for.

"J-Joon, I have something for you," Taehyung stated as he blinked away his tears. The male slid his engagement ring off of his finger and held it tightly in his palm.

"W-what is it?" Namjoon asked, confused why Taehyung was holding out the engagement ring for him to take.

"Jimin gave me this. B-before he left, he said I should keep this safe. Jeongguk and I got married so quickly we never had the chance to buy an engagement ring. Jimin was planning to propose to you once he got back from this deployment," Taehyung explained as he placed the beautiful diamond studded ring into Namjoon's palm.

"I think you should have it," The brunet whispered as he closed Namjoon's fingers around the ring with both of his hands.

"That's what Jimin would want so I'm only honouring his wishes," The brunet said once he saw the confliction in Namjoon's eyes. After all, the ring probably meant a lot to Taehyung too.

"Thank you, Taehyung," Namjoon whispered as he slipped the ring onto his finger, the gold band fitting perfectly.

"It looks great on you," Taehyung whispered, his voice heavy.

Namjoon gulped thickly, tears welling up in his eyes at how spectacular the ring was. Jimin must have spent hours picking this out because it had everything Namjoon loved on it.

It was exactly what the male had envisioned his engagement ring to look like.

The two men said nothing after that, they just embraced once more, thankful to have someone to relate to at such a hard time.

Jimin was returning- despite what he had promised.

"I'll see you when I get back," Jimin said with certainty, looking Taehyung dead in the eyes.

"Promise?"

"I promise,"

Jimin lied. . .

. . . But Taehyung found no room for anger in his heart.

There was only love and joy to have known such a kind and beautiful soul.