Chapter 46 - Showtime

No one's POV:

The large mahogany doors of the judge's entrance swung open and a tall man with wool like black hair strode through with surefooted steps. His dark skin made for a stark contrast to the white and khaki uniform that he donned.

His whole aura screamed authority and demanded respect. From the crisp, wrinkle free uniform to his neutral yet somewhat threatening expression.

Footsteps echoed in the large room as the military judge's black shoes pressed against the marble floor.

"May the court rise."

On the command, everyone inside stood up and waited until the man made his way up to the judge's bench.

He motioned for everyone but those being tried to sit down yet again and clearing his throat, the judge began to speak, "Good morning. Be seated."

The deep baritone voice of the judge echoed in the room as he announced the case. "We're here today for a hearing in the case of Lance corporal Jeon Jeongguk. Jeon Jeongguk stands accused of entering into a fraudulent marriage in order to collect BAH and FSA pay in violation of article 132 of the UCMJ."

Adjusting his glasses slightly, the judge looked down at some papers that had been passed to him by the clerk. "We have a signed affidavit from Min Jaesung's testimony of the fraudulent marriage."

The large document had a statement claiming that the marriage was formed on criminal motives.

In other words, Jaesung had screwed them over.

Jeongguk's face morphed into a scowl when that traitor's name was mentioned. Jaesung was once so reputable and now he is anything but.

This was his final stab to cause damage but it didn't surprise either of the husbands.

"Lance corporal Jeon Jeongguk's husband, Kim Taehyung, is a civilian so his case will be referred to state authorities and they may pursue criminal charges. They will have access to the transcripts of these proceedings." Jeongguk's expression grew lighter at the mention of his husband. He threw a look over his shoulder into Taehyung's direction, only to find the male giving him a reaffirming nod.

Taehyung didn't look right though.

The joy had been sucked out of him. His eyes were subtly red and swollen with an empty look echoing through his pupils.

Taehyung wasn't just tired. He was utterly exhausted.

Drained.

And yet there he was, putting up a brave front just so Jeongguk wouldn't feel so desperate and alone.

That was when Jeongguk knew what he had to do.

He had thought about it for a while now but didn't know whether he would ever be able to go through with the plans.

But seeing Taehyung- his Tae- like that.

Well, he had never been so sure of anything.

So, leaning over to his lawyer, Jeongguk whispered, "I wish to make a statement."

The judge continued to speak about the case and today's proceedings but all of it seemed like a blur. Jeongguk had set his sights on what needed to be done and anything else in the peripheral quickly became irrelevant.

The lawyer looked shocked, his mouth parting slightly as he replied, "Lance corporal, I cannot advise that. If you don't say anything then we have a good chance of winning. Just-"

"Tell the judge I'd like to make a statement." Jeongguk asserted, cutting off his defense.

The lawyer gave up his protests and the room fell to near silence yet again aside from the judge's announcements and the click clack of the stereographer's keyboard.