Chapter 40 - There's Trouble

No one's POV:

"Hello?" Taehyung questioned, somewhat annoyed that the caller had taken him away from Jeongguk. However, this call could be important- unfortunately

"Kim Taehyung." The person stated. It wasn't really a question, more of an assertion of authority. The voice was that of a male and it had a slight raspiness to it. There was a clear projection to the voice as if it was used to giving and receiving orders.

Some kind of regalness or imposing nature even?

Still, Taehyung didn't care enough to think about the voice any longer.

"This is he." Taehyung replied, eager to get the call over with. Just behind him, Taehyung was able to see his husband staring out at sea as the wind ruffled his hair. The brunet definitely didn't want to miss anymore of that because of a stupid call.

"I know that." The voice replied ominously as Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows at the strange reply. Something deep inside Taehyung tightened, put him on edge, raised his guard and built steadfast walls to protect himself. Taehyung didn't know if what the person replied with could even be classified as a response.

It was a mocking, demeaning play designed to instil fear. A fear that Taehyung would be lying if he said it didn't work.

"A little birdy told me that you have broken the law Taehyung. Is that true?" The man stated before the brunet tried to compose himself, deciding that acting oblivious was the way to go. It would be foolish to admit breaking the law to someone who merely suspected it.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Taehyung replied sternly, his foot tapping nervously on the ground. His body weight shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. Suddenly feeling that everything was too tight- like it was impossible to even breathe in the correct manner. Like an endless constricting feeling, wrapping around and compressing every muscle in Taehyung's body.

How could he know? How could this man know?

No one had been told.

"Well your body language says otherwise my dear. Perhaps you should be more convincing next time." The speaker said softly and so assuredly that Taehyung could almost feel the snide smirk from the other side of the phone.

A rush of thoughts swarmed around Taehyung's head like fiendish wasps.

What did this person mean?

Well in Taehyung's mind it could only be one thing.

This guy could see him.

He was watching- like a complete fucking stalker and he wasn't even afraid of admitting it.

Taehyung began to dart his head around in order to find people on the beach. Searching for anyone that could be the culprit.

This man was. . . watching him?

So where was he?

No matter how hard Taehyung searched, his eyes probing the area like a hawk on the hunt for food, the male found no one.

Not a single soul was visible. The beach was deserted so how could this person know his movements?

"H-how can you? What?." Taehyung mumbled, his words becoming a stuttering mess. The brunet wanted to shrink and make himself impossibly small.

Scared didn't cover it.

Fuck, Taehyung was petrified.

"You won't find me Taehyung. So I'd stop looking and start paying attention to something much more important." The man uttered as he watched Taehyung start to step back from where he was standing.