4

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

"I know this is hard for you and I'm sorry I can't return your feelings, but that doesn't mean I want us to lose the bond we have. I care about you and you're important to me, Jaeyun-ah. Please don't try and distance yourself from me."

---

Timeskip: Friday, 1 week later

Jake really did feel blessed and cursed. He was beyond grateful that Heeseung still cared about him and wanted to keep the bond they had. But Jake couldn't seem to act normally around Heeseung anymore knowing that the older had found out about his feelings, and this made trying not to distance himself much more difficult than the younger had anticipated. To make matters worse, Heeseung only began to pay more attention to Jake.

Flashbacks

On Monday, the group had been invited to a radio talk show. Jake sat down in a chair near the corner, trying not to draw too much attention to himself, but Heeseung plopped down right next to him. Throughout the show, the older kept throwing subtle glances at the younger, and Jake tried to hide his uncomfortable expression. As the show went on, the host eventually asked Enhypen to open up about a member they were grateful to recently, and Heeseung chose Jake.

"I've always been grateful to Jake, but recently I feel like we've gotten even closer. There's nothing we can't share with each other, and he always makes me feel at ease" Heeseung said, all while smiling at Jake who didn't know how to react other than awkwardly smile back. In all of Jake's made-up scenarios of Heeseung finding out about his feelings for the older, this is not what he was expecting at all.

On Tuesday, the group had another music show performance of Blessed-Cursed scheduled. After getting his hair, makeup, and styling done, Jake reached for his in-ears. He slipped one in his right ear, but the left side had gotten tangled. He lifted his arms and reached behind his head, struggling to untangle the earpiece when someone taller suddenly materialized behind him. Glancing back, Jake saw Heeseung silently untangling his left in-ear for him. When the older finally managed to get the knot out, Jake thanked him quietly, avoiding his gaze and attempting to leave for the stage.

"Hold on," Heeseung said, grabbing the younger's shoulder and turning him around. He swiftly fixed Jake's hair before smiling back down at the younger and saying "There. You look good today, Jaeyun-ah" and a million butterflies exploded in Jake's stomach.

What the heck? Is he doing this on purpose? Jake thought to himself as he quickly turned back around to hide his blush.

On Wednesday, the group had a bit of down time before a scheduled live to celebrate the music show wins they had been receiving recently. Heeseung invited Jake to go shopping together, to which the younger politely declined. Normally, he loved shopping for new clothes, especially with Heeseung since he had great taste. But now the thought of spending a couple hours alone with the older scared him. It would feel too much like a date.

Jake ended up going to an arcade with Ni-ki and Sunghoon instead.

At this point, Heeseung began to notice how Jake was deliberately avoiding him, even after they agreed to not put distance between themselves when the older found out the younger's feelings. He couldn't believe Jake had ditched him just to go hangout with the other members.

Heeseung decided to try and have another talk with Jake. On Thursday, after their schedules were finished for the day, Heeseung invited Jake to eat late night ramyeon with him. Usually, it was the other way around, and the latter would always get sparkles in his eyes when the older said yes. So when the younger politely declined Heeseung's offer, saying he "felt tired and just wanted to sleep," Heeseung was beyond shocked, and even started to get a little upset.

Why is he avoiding me? Did I do something wrong?

End of Flashbacks

Now it was Friday, and the group was currently recording the Blessed-Cursed dance practice to be posted later.

"Aghhh hyung!! You move your arms like THIS" an exasperated Ni-ki demonstrated after Jake had messed up the choreography and made them start over for the 3rd time so far.

"S-sorry" Jake mumbled as he felt Heeseung's gaze etching into him from afar. The older had been staring at him throughout the entire session, and the anxiety was causing Jake to make a lot of mistakes.

At this rate, I'm gonna get a heart attack. Why is he staring at me?!

"Ni-ki calm down, Jake-hyung is probably just tired" Sunoo said, casting Jake an empathetic look.

Ni-ki huffed. "Okay. Let's take it from Jungwon-hyung's part." He ran over to cue the music and quickly scuttled back into position.

Just stop, don't tell me what to do
훈장 같은 저주
이 저주 속에 I'll be okay, no pain, no pain~
저 빛 너머의 liar-

The group all did the high kick at the beginning of the chorus, but Jake slipped, landing hard on his arm and side.

"Whoa! Are you okay??" Sunghoon asked, immediately running to Jake's side and helping him up. Jay ran over to stop the music, flashing his roommate a concerned look.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine" Jake said, rubbing his sore elbow gently.

"Are you sure, hyung?" Jungwon asked worriedly.

Heeseung made his way across the room to Jake. "Let me see."

"I, I'm fine, hyung" Jake reassured, shying away from the older's hand.

"Jaeyun, you're hurt. Let me see." Heeseung said again more sternly, still trying to grab Jake's arm.

"I-I'm fine!! Honest!! Let's just finish this take and I'll handle it later, okay?" Jake suddenly burst out, flinching away from Heeseung's touch. The rest of the members went silent, awkwardly looking between Heeseung and Jake. They clearly sensed some sort of tension between the two.

Ni-ki cleared his throat and scratched the back of his hair. "Uh, let's finish this take and leave early for the day. Manager-hyung said we don't have anymore schedules for the rest of the day, so we can take it easy" he said, eyes still flickering between Jake and Heeseung.

The members mumbled in agreement, and Jake got back into position, silently thanking Ni-ki for intervening. He stole a quick peek at Heeseung, and to his surprise, Heeseung's face had turned icy cold. Jake's eyes widened.

The older looked... angry? Annoyed? Upset? Why did he look like that??

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

a/n:

to the one person who voted and commented so far, thank you sm, i really appreciate it~ ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ

someone save Jake pls-

*ੈ✩‧₊˚