27

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

"Alright everyone! Please get into position!"

As their five-minute break came to an end, Jake and Heeseung made their way back to the center of the practice room, getting into position to rehearse the dance portion of their 'Fever' stage performance. The rest of the dancers lined up on the sides near the mirrors, readying themselves to come in during the bridge of the song.

While Jake's body had slightly calmed down from the acting scene before, five minutes was nowhere near enough time to fully recover from all the symptoms he had experienced.

Come on, Jake. Focus, the younger mentally scolded himself, still unsure as to what—and why—he was feeling.

With that, the music started, and both Jake and Heeseung sat up, following the demonstration that Dancer J and Dancer H had shown them.

(Heeseung's background vocals) Give me fever.. 

Then, as planned, the song immediately skipped the first verse and instead went to the first chorus, and both members sprung up from the floor.

너 때문에 온몸이 타올라,
너 때문에 심장이 목말라 

Despite his body still not feeling 100% normal, Jake managed to pull off the first part of the chorus well, syncing his timing and movements with Heeseung's.

However, when they got to the next part, the Aussie quickly found himself in danger again.

Heeseung moved behind and slightly to the side of Jake, covering the younger's eyes with his left hand just as Dancer H had demonstrated. Then, he reached his right arm over.

Like a fever, 

Heeseung's hand slid up Jake's left wrist,

fever, 

Then it traveled up to touch Jake's chin.

fever,

It curved around the younger's head,

fever! 

And he finished with a sensuous head roll.

Going in, Jake had inhaled sharply, holding his breath to try and control his nerves, but it was no use. Each touch felt like an explosion of fireworks inside his body, quickly reigniting and spreading the pulse of heat that had radiated within him earlier. The churning sensation in his stomach quickly evolved to feel like it was folding in on itself entirely, and his knees began to feel weak as they threatened to do the same.

Suddenly, Jake was very aware of what he and Heeseung looked like to the choreographer and the rest of the dancers in the room. Suddenly, he was very aware of what the lyrics to 'Fever' really meant.

But the music kept going, and they didn't stop to miss a beat. Heeseung quickly retracted to get into the next formation, and they both finished off the first chorus as if nothing happened.

밀어내도 내 안에 타올라,
재가 돼도 불꽃이 피어나
Like a fever, fever, fever~!

널 알고 싶어, 널 알고 싶어 

Then, the song cut to the bridge, and the dancers on the side slowly began to move in. A few of them gravitated towards the center to create a small mound for Heeseung to lay on top of, and the older easily got into position. The rest of the dancers readied themselves to shoot outwards into wing-like formations. Now, they were only waiting on one person.

Now, it was Jake's turn to move.

Still experiencing those fever-like symptoms, Jake gulped slightly. Ok Jake, you can do this. We're almost at the end, just hold it together for a little bit longer, he tried to calm himself.

But again, it was no use.

As soon as he did his dramatic fall backwards onto Heeseung, he knew he was fcked.

Upon contact, the older's warmth pressed against the younger shot electrifying heat to every corner of Jake's body. When Heeseung's hands slid up to roam across the younger's clothed stomach and chest, Jake felt a tingling sensation take over. He began to tremble, heart racing at every brush of the older's fingertips, and the scent of Heeseung's cologne started to make his head spin.

Soon, Jake realized he was not only suppressing his breath, but also suppressing some very dangerous noises.

He needed to get out of there. He needed to escape the 'fever'.

Despite the fact that his entire body felt like mush, Jake mustered up all the remaining strength he had to push himself away. He stood up on his feet weakly, causing Heeseung and the rest of the dancers to look up in confusion.

The choreographer also gave a confused look before running back to stop the music. "Jake-ssi? Is everything ok-"

"I.. I need to go home" Jake said shakily, stepping away from the mound and causing more confused noises to arise from behind him.

"Jaeyun-ah?" he heard Heeseung call, and that was the last straw.

Before his knees could completely buckle and before he had time to completely fall apart in front of the older and everyone else, Jake immediately bolted out of the room.

Something's wrong with me. Something is definitely wrong with me.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

a/n:

this chapter is short since it was originally supposed to be part of a double-post, but i promise the next chapters are gonna be longer (btw, the ending of this chapter.. do y'all get deja vu? lmao) 

i know these recent chapters have been kind of redundant, but like i said i didn't want to just skip over them because they provide important context for what's gonna happen next (which, spoiler alert, i think y'all are REALLY REALLY gonna like chapter 28 and 29 hehehe)

until then, thank you for being patient with me!! chapter 28 should be out within the next couple of days, but i'm just not sure when yet (* ̄∀ ̄)

in the meantime, thank you all for 14k reads!! see you sometime within the next couple of days ig, haha ^^

*ੈ✩‧₊˚