24

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

(Warning: mention of fake blood)

After entering the separate practice room and a brief word of introduction, Jake, Heeseung, and the rest of the Fever unit dance team immediately got to work. 

"Alright, here's the basics of what's gonna happen:" the choreographer spoke.

"Right after the 'Let Me In' unit stage finishes, the lights are gonna fade out and everything will be completely dark. Then, a large screen is going to light up to begin the 'Fever' stage." he explained.

"The screen is going to play a brief clip from the intro scenes of your 'Fever' M/V (a/n: i highly recommend watching this part so you get an idea of what i'm talking about), where you all are running away from those dark, black, vine-like swirls." he went on. "And those swirls are going to represent the 'fever'."

The choreographer made air quotation marks with his fingers on the word 'fever'. "Of course, the 'fever' represents the effects that lust and sensuous desires have on a person's mind and body, and this essentially is the main message of the song that you will be trying to convey. Does everything make sense so far?" 

Jake and Heeseung nodded, listening attentively although they always got a bit shy when talking about the mature concept of their song.

"Perfect. The intro clip will end with Jake's scene of running away, then the camera will cut to the real Jake running out onto stage with a spotlight on him, as if he was still running away from the 'fever', and this is where the performance begins." he concluded.

From there, the choreographer had two dancers, one with a large 'J' printed on his shirt (J for Jake) and one with a large 'H' printed on his shirt (H for Heeseung) demonstrate how Jake and Heeseung's acting were supposed to look like, and the two members paid close attention to every detail to make sure they wouldn't miss anything.

First, Dancer J ran out to the center of the practice room, simulating what Jake would look like running out on stage after the intro clip as the choreographer had mentioned. He then acted out some heavy breathing, looking behind as if to make sure he was safe from the 'fever', before turning back towards the front, continuing to act like he was out of breath. 

Then, as Dancer J pretended to be oblivious, Dancer H slowly crept up behind him. Jake and Heeseung could see this happening since it was just a demo and there were bright practice room lights on, but from an audience member's view in a dark concert hall, it would seem like Dancer H had appeared out of nowhere. 

Ever so slowly, Dancer H reached an arm over Dancer J's shoulder from behind, covering Dancer J's mouth with his hand. Then, as Dancer J acted out his eyes widening in shock, Dancer H quickly brought his face close to Dancer J's neck and air-bit him like a vampire, causing Dancer J's head to slump down. 

A silent gasp left Jake's mouth and Heeseung blinked in surprise, but they continued watching attentively.

Dancer J's body fell slowly to the side just in time for Dancer H to catch it, one hand on Dancer J's head and one hand on his back. Then, Dancer H gently laid Dancer J's body down before standing back up and wiping the corner of his lips, ending by looking back out with an ominous gaze.

"And CUT!!" the choreographer then shouted.

Jake and Heeseung, who were completely engrossed in the act, snapped back to reality.

"You can probably tell just from looking at the dancers, but basically Jake-ssi will be representing a person trying to escape the 'fever', and Heeseung-ssi will be representing that 'fever'." the choreographer explained.

"As you just watched, the 'fever' ultimately catches up to and 'bites' Jake, causing Jake to faint."

He paused before turning to Jake. "After that, the story continues with the music and choreography, where Jake will portray being 'infatuated' with those lustful desires." he continued, emphasizing the word 'infatuated' with his hands. 

"Before this happens, the lights will dim out and the dark instrumental playing in the background will go silent for a couple moments, giving you enough time to get into position, Then, the actual music will start playing, and that's where you will start performing the special choreography we have prepared for you guys." he concluded. "Does anyone have any questions so far?"

Jake and Heeseung sat quietly for a second. That surely was a lot to take in, but at the same time they were highly impressed at how well the acting scene was put together. They shook their heads.

"Great. A couple things to note: there will be fake blood during the part where Heeseung 'bites' Jake's neck, which will make the scene look more realistic and, of course, fit your vampire concept." the choreographer said.

"Also, once you're finished acting out the scene, you won't be performing the full version of 'Fever'. The song will open with Heeseung's background vocals like normal, but after that it will immediately jump into the first chorus. Then, after the first chorus it will jump to the bridge, and you'll finish the performance at the end of the bridge right before the beat drops. Does that make sense?" 

Jake and Heeseung nodded again.

"Again, the entire acting scene happens before the actual song starts playing, but there will be a dark instrumental in the background during this part." the choreographer continued. "For now, before we get into the actual choreography for the song, I'd like you two to practice your acting parts separately with the dancers who played your parts until you have it down." the choreographer gestured towards Dancer J and Dancer H.

"Once everything looks relatively smooth, then the dancers will demonstrate the choreography to the actual song. Again, you will practice the actual dance with the dancers who play your parts until you have it down, and once you have that down, we'll have you two practice everything altogether with each other." the choreographer concluded.

Jake and Heeseung looked at each other. They were confused as to why they wouldn't just be practicing everything, both the acting scene and the actual choreography, with each other from the start, but decided not to question the choreographer's choices.

And so it began. Jake stood up and went to one end of the practice room with Dancer J as Heeseung went to the other end with Dancer H. They followed along and practiced each detail with the dancers, and it didn't take long until each of them had nailed down the basic parts of the scene. 

They spent a couple days perfecting the timing and sync of each movement and facial expression, and once the choreographer individually checked and approved of their progress, it was time to move on to learning the special choreography for the actual song.

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

a/n:

this chapter and the next chapter might be a little confusing, but they're important because they provide context for the upcoming chapters after them. please be sure to read them thoroughly!!

double-post this week!! make sure to check out the next chapter ^^

*ੈ✩‧₊˚