Chapter 10: A Friend Of A Friend

Two days later, after submitting their application form, the kids started their training. Tesla took them on a five kilometer run through a thick forest on the outskirts of Mbabane. It was filled with thorny trees, tightly packed branches and lots of angry wasps.

Tesla stated that 'this was to boost their stamina, while also increasing their tolerance to pain'. When the teenagers came across an obstacle they couldn't over come, they used their attributes to conquer it. They didn't have to worry because the vegetation would grow back to normal in minutes.

After about three hours they returned back to their starting point. Tesla was the first to arrive with Abby close behind him. "Nice job, you are more physically fit than those two." Abby turned around to see Cody leaning on Zack.

"I don't know what's up with them. I thought they'd be use to this after two days." Abby drank some water before sitting down.

"It can't be helped." Tesla stepped forward. "If you don't get here within the next ten minutes, you won't eat!"

"Training with Tesla just showed me...how much my father was holding back when I was young." Cody started running.

"I on the other hand, wish I'd kept up with my father's training. I wouldn't be suffering this much." Zack commented. The two boys ran as fast as they could back to Tesla.

As soon as they got there, the boys fell on the soft grass. Exhausted, they could feel all their muscles aching. "Don't forget to stretch you two." Abby handed them bottles of water.

"Yes ma'am..." They both responded before sitting up.

From training, the kids went into some azoth control drills. Tesla chose this type of training, because he noted that they used up more of their azoth than necessary. This would be especially useful for Abby who is one of the teams strongest members, but the worst at it.

The training lasted hours up until the sun was about to set. As they were packing their items Tesla remembered something he had forgotten to mention two days ago. "Before I forget to mention it. I want you guys to be careful when on your own. I've heard rumors about children attacking exam candidates out of jealousy."

"Really?"

"It's just a rumor Zack, but still you must be careful." Tesla answered. Immediately after that, the group departed with Cody going off on his own, because the others had errands to do in the city and Cosmo asked him to return home early today.

While traveling Cody decided to use a shortcut he heard his brother talk about. It passed through a forest some distance away from any public route. Jumping over rocks scattered throughout the path Cody made his way home. "This would make for a good training course." The boy tried keeping his balance every time he took a step. Little did he know that he was being followed.

Half way through the detour, Cody saw three people ahead of him. As he got closer the boy recognized who they were. Cody hoped that what Tesla said was just a rumor because he was headed straight for Kenya's friends.

Just before he could turn around Kenya and two others suddenly appeared from behind him. "Where do you think you are going abnormal?" Kenya waved.

"I was headed home." Cody tried to leave, but got cut off by one of the boys in front of him.

"We weren't done talking to you." Kenya got closer to Cody.

"What do you want Kenya?" The Dlamini boy asked.

"I just want to talk, we are friends right?" Kenya removed the dust from Cody's t-shirt.

"Then I'm leaving." Cody turned around. "I have better things to do than waist time with you."