Chapter 18: Debt Paid

The monster sent the boy flying with its tail. Using the phantom claw, Cody landed safely. Immediately after, the creature fired a breathe attack. Cody responded by expanding his phantom claw, creating a barrier protecting both him and Maya.

The boy then quickly ran at the monster. Due to his exhaustion he wasn't as fast as he normally was. The creature tried to crush him with it's tail however, Cody barely managed to dodge it.

When it swung its claw, Cody parried the attack away with his expanded claw. Shrouding his foot in darkness Cody kicked it on the jaw. He then stretched out the phantom claw to grab a broken nearby tree and used it to stab the monster through the head.

The tree went all the way through the monster knocking it out. Cody saw it crumble bit by bit as he landed behind it. It's azoth had significantly decreased.

When he landed, the boy made his way to Maya grabbing his injured arm in the process. My body is still not used to the spell yet. I still need to train master it. The boy winced in pain.

"Hey Maya, are you okay?

"I should be asking you that." She tapped him on shoulder.

"Ouch!" The boy cried out in pain

"S-sorry." She responded.

"Don't worry about it. It's nothing the doctor can't fix " The boy then laid flat on the ground.

Seeing this most of the crowd went silent. Cody defeating the creature was unexpected. Even Ozen was stunned. Only Nokwanda and a couple of people cheered for the boy.

"I'm starting to like this kid." Lion smiled. "He has potential."

"Yeah, but the Nkhosi girl defeated it earlier with one punch. That is nothing big." A woman sitting next to Lion commented. "Besides look closer at the screen little brother. The fight is not over yet."

"That's not good." Lion looked at the conditions the children were in.

"Too bad we are trapped and powerless, otherwise I would have ended this conundrum." The woman watched.

"How are the others?" Cody turned to Maya.

"Most of them are okay." She responded. "Most except Cosmo, Tesla and Cosmo. They need a doctor quickly."

"Speaking of that, why hasn't the realm vanished." Cody looked up.  Upon standing on his feet Cody looked around at friends, little did he know of the on coming projectile.

Suddenly, Maya pushed the boy out of the way as a white tentacle grazed her wrist. The two landed on the ground covering themselves in dirt and dust.

It's still alive!? Cody looked at the monster as the white particles began to swirl around it. This is really bad. I'm almost out of azoth.

Piece by piece, the limestone particles formed the different parts of the monster, however it stood on two legs this time. Slowly the tail formed along with its muscular arms leading to hands the size of Cody's torso. The part that attacked them was quickly connected to it's tail.

Before its reptilian face could fully develop, the monster charged at the two. Every footstep was like a small tremor. It glared at the kids with its bright yellow eyes.

Cody then noticed a dark aura emanating from the beast. Thanks to this monster reminded him of the one in his dreams. "So you still have the will to fight, even after watching Maya die." Cody remembered what that mysterious person from his dream.

No. I won't let her die. The boy struggled to stand up. I will protect her and become stronger, so that one day I'll destroy that creature. Cody clutched his fist creating his night staff. Drops of blood leaked out of his left eye.

"Stop Cody, you will kill yourself!" Maya shouted in desperation.

Just as the monster got closer, it clutched its hand before going for punch. It leapt at Cody creating alot of wind pressure from its jump. With a roar like it attempted to punch the boy.

When the abnormal boy opened his eyes. He discovered that the creature had stopped. Around its arms and legs were vines. "You owe me big time Abnormal."

"Robin for the tenth time today, his name is Cody." Lana jumped on to the ground from the tree above. "Clement can you knock it off its feet. I need some time to heal everyone."

"Incineration knuckle." Clement chanted a spell creating a giant hand of fire. With it the Dlamini boy punched the creature sixteen meters away from them.

"Vine cocoon." Green vines began to wrap themselves around the monster. "If it tries to make a move I'll."

Clement using his 'incineration knuckle' moved around the area collecting the bodies of the unconscious. As he walked over to Maya he was impressed her level of accuracy when using the creation technique. It may not be perfect but it'll at least by us sometime until we get a proper doctor. He shifted his eyes to her. For an abnormal she is very skilled.

"Healing technique: cloud nine." Lana casted a spell covering everyone in clouds this included both Cody and Cosmo. "This should be enough for now." She fell onto the ground from exhaustion however, Cody managed to catch her before she could do so.

"Are you okay?" Cody asked.

"Yeah but you shouldn't be moving around. You are hurt to." Lana responded.

"I can manage, besides my first priority is ending that thing and removing the realm." Cody assured her.

"Good luck with that hotshot, unless you are as strong as the caster or you can unleash an all encompassing area attack. You are going no where." Clement turned to Cosmo.

"Then I'll focus on healing Cosmo and the others." Lana ran to Maya. "You three will keep it busy."

"Yes Lan-" a tentacle passed between the boys. Quickly they turned around to see where it was going. In horror they watched it head straight for Lana.

Maya jumped in front of Lana and tackled the blue haired girl to the ground. Unfortunately before she could do that, the tentacle severed Lana's right arm from her body. In pain she screamed so loud that it nearly broke the speakers at the stadium.

Why did I let down my guard? Clement and Cody simultaneously thought. Clement turned to Robin as Cody ran to Maya to help.

Using the eyes of his monster Emanz watched the match from far away. "You are almost there kiddos. The is just one more thing for you to deal with before the fight ends." He stated as he did a hand sign. "Can you all survive half of my azoth pressure."

At that moment the kids could feel the air around them suddenly become heavy. Thanks to this Robin lost concentration and undone her spell. The monster using it's immense strength easily ripped apart the vines.

Cody and Clement saw this but were unable to move or activate their spells. Robin was on her knees, while Maya struggled to sit up. 

Slowly the monster approached the kids as it charged up its next. Cody seeing this tried to create a phantom claw unfortunately it didn't activate.

Clement who was on his knees observed Cody. I guess I was wrong about him. Clement shifted his gaze to the monster now towering over them.

The boy tried creating a spell, but he could only produce a few ember. Instead of being disappointed Clement tried harder with all his strength. "I can do this." He shouted just before a wall of flames appeared between them and the monster. The spell forced the creature to move back.

As soon as this happened the boys felt their bodies get lighter and they gained control of their azoth. "That was amazing." Cody stood up.

"I didn't do anything." Realizing this the boys turned around. To their surprise the girls were doing the same thing.

Upon seeing who casted the spell, Cody's eyes widened and his smile travelled from cheek to cheek. "It's about damn time." Trinity watched from the stadium.

"Welcome back Cosmo."

Next Chapter: Seated Officer