Chapter 12: A New spell

In the dead of night Cody sat on the steps to the house. He was still recovering from the earlier assault and the boy was using the cold air produced at night to soothe his wounds. "Ouch!" He winced from pain.

Through the pain Cody kept on thinking about today's fight studying what he should have done to resolve it. "If I had another attack I would have ended it before it got that intense."

From the distance Cody spotted Sito walking home. Like his brother Sito was also busy with his own training. As he got closer Cody could feel the intensity of his brother's azoth, however it still was nowhere near Kholwane or Tesla's yet. "My brother is so strong." With those words he remembered his argument with Ozen.

When Sito got closer Cody waved to try and greet him. Without even so much as a glance, Sito walked passed his brother. The tension between the two was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

As Sito closed the main door leading to the house, the boy abruptly stood up. "Instead of marvelling at his progress, let me make some progress of my own." Cody slapped both his cheeks simultaneously in an attempt to cheer himself up.

Cosmo who was making food in the kitchen saw Cody running towards the gate. He popped his head out the window to ask where the boy was headed.

"I'm going for a run around the block." Cody responded before opening the gate.

"Let me finish cooking so I can join you." Although some time has passed between Cody and Ozen's argument, Cosmo was still worried about Cody's psyche.

The two ran around the block after supper. Cosmo observed Cody closely during the three kilometer run, however he was genuinely surprised by the boy's stamina and drive during that one hour.

He certainly has improved, however he needs to achieve triple what he can do to even be considered. Cosmo thought.

Later that evening, Sito approached Cosmo who was meditating outside. Cody was in his room fast asleep thanks to the exhaustion. "You still up?" Cosmo opened one eye.

"I saw you and Cody running out the gate earlier."

"Yeah we went for a three kilometer run earlier." Cosmo closed his eye. "You should have joined us, it was fun."

"I don't do fun, that is childish." He responded. "Only idiots like him enjoy that sort of thing."

"You'll be surprised to hear that your father believed that fun is the best way to become stronger." The adult laughed a little.

"And look at where that got him." Sito scoffed. "No offense, but I don't think that way."

"It's your loss not mine."

As Sito was leaving he stopped short of the veranda. "By the way when are you going to tell him the truth?" Sito looked back. "That the chances of an abnormal passing the exam is slim at best. The last one to join had to win the competition entirely to do so."

"I don't think I need to." Cosmo responded.

"I thought you cared about him. Why keep this from him.?"

The knight opened his eyes turning his eyes and hair blue. "Because I believe in him." The man smiled. "When I heard an abnormal joined your team I was very worried. But, after this conversation, all my worries are gone."

"Shut up..." Sito walked away making the adult chuckle.

"You definitely are your father's son. Both of you are very stubborn..." He opened one eye while mumbling to himself. Suddenly, a small blue flame ignited for a split second before going out. "Ouch."