( 37 ) a life of honourable retirement

037. A LIFE OF HONOURABLE RETIREMENT

          "YOU CAN'T EVER scare us like that again," Scott gasped with relief when Aspen came walking out of her hospital room dressed in her scrub dress, completely healthy and healed, engulfing her in a hug

"Sorry, Lipstick," Aspen sighed chuckling into his shoulder as they hugged each other tight.

"Lipstick?" Stiles' brows furrowed a little confused and amused, "what's that all about?"

"Oh, well, you see— Scotty had a little prob—"

"Nothing!" Scott cut her off before she could finish, changing the topic by going back to focusing on her, while she rolled her eyes and suppressed laughter.

"So what happened?" Scott asked as they pulled away, and Aspen was surrounded by all her relieved but worried friends in the lobby of the hospital. Except Lydia, who was awake and stable but still in her hospital room, as healing didn't come so quickly for her. "Even the doctors were worried."

"I was—" Aspen shrugged, laughing a little awkwardly, "I was just sleeping, I guess. Good news is the bullet wound is completely healed, so I don't know— maybe sleeping speeds up that whole process?"

"Okay, well good news is, we have you back." Stiles said, wrapping an arm around her and pulling her close to him, "And the other news is that I'm gonna kill River now, so—where is the bastard?"

"Stiles—" Aspen placed a hand on his chest to slow him down, "No, River wasn't behind this. He's not with the others."

"You might believe that, but was he anywhere to be seen when Scott's house was shot up?" Stiles pointed out, "Was he with you? Did you know where he was?"

Aspen glanced at Scott and the others, realising she didn't have an answer to either of Stiles' questions—but she didn't believe River could've been behind what happened. He put his ass on the line to save her and Scott's lives at the Armoury, knowing his dad was right outside. He'd been informing them on everything he'd been finding out from his dad and Gerard, he hadn't given them any reason to doubt him this time.

But then again, Aspen couldn't be stupid or naive—she couldn't afford to be this time. She knew what River was capable of in the past, she knew how good he was with a gun in his hand.

"No..." Aspen murmured with defeat, "No I don't know where he was when it happened..."

"Well, my money's on him." Stiles mumbled with distrust.

"My money's on Monroe." said Isaac.

"Whoever did this, they aren't getting away with it." said Scott as the group got ready to leave as Aspen was officially discharged by a nurse.

"Well, what do we do?" asked Malia.

"No more peace summits." Scott said with an expression of vengeance, "No more running. No more half-measures."