( 42 ) an undeserved fait

TW. LOTS OF GUN VIOLENCE
042. AN UNDESERVED FAIT

    "NONE OF US ARE GOING TO SURVIVE THIS!"

Aspen's eyes widened with horror at Lydia's panicked announcement, glancing back at Scott who looked equally as frightened.

"What?" Aspen's brows frowned, "Why? Wh—what are you guys doing here?"

"They're coming!" Peter said with alarm, "Monroe and more—and they have heavy firepower."

Not a single one of them had any time to process this news before a sudden hail of gunfire is shot towards them.

At least half a dozen of them hit Deucalion in the chest.

"No!" Aspen screamed, her face immediately paling as all the colour fled from her face, her eyes widened in pure horror as she watched her father fall to his knees weakly, as she looked down and saw all the bullet-holes in his torso.

"No, Dad, no!" Aspen cried in a shock of grief running through her that she never would've expected to feel for the man.

She'd only ever called Deucalion her dad once before, when Gerard shot him in the tunnels.

She barely processed that the word came out of her mouth as she lurched forwards to run to him, but before she could do so, her forearm was being grabbed by a hand and she was being hurled away with force behind a pillar to take cover from the gunshots that continued.

She spun her head around to see it was Stiles who had grabbed her, and he was now stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her chest and holding her closely, barely processing how fast his heart was racing as he was focussed on keeping her safe.

At first, Aspen fought him off. She tried to writhe out of his grip as she felt like she was about to hyperventilate. She wasn't processing the situation—the sound of the gunshots being fired was ringing in her ears, as she shook her head, trying to run towards her father as Stiles fought to keep her in his grip.

"Stiles, let me go!" Aspen cried, shaking her head rapidly as she protested, wanting to turn around the pillar and run towards her father.

Stiles couldn't think of any words to say, so he didn't say anything. Instead, he just used all the strength he had, which was heightened by the terrifying adrenaline, to keep her hidden behind the pillar with him, while everyone else took shelter from the gunshots too.

Aspen turned around the pillar to look at what was going on, finally processing what was going on, hearing the endless firing of bullets as she tried to keep herself from hyperventilating or having a panic attack. As she turned around to see what was happening, she saw a wall of hunters on the other end of the shipyard catwalk.