Ch. 16: Bad Blood

-Rei's dorm room-

It is morning and Rei has woken up a little later than he usually tends to. Sports festival is going to take place tomorrow, kind of making him regret even waking up. It is true.... Rei is not really looking forward to it. Mostly because of his general disinterest in classic sports. But alongside some of his other classmates that didn't want to initially join, he has been pressured to joining in as well. And it really made him feel annoyed. He didn't want to ruin everyone's fun, but at the same time he really didn't want to be center of attention for probably over-performing everyone, or intentionally underperforming. 

Maybe he could just not come, but that would be rude. Maybe he could pretend to be sick or wounded, which would maybe work, if it wasn't HIM doing that excuse. Or maybe, he could do something to make Sports festival cancel. But he is not that much of an asshole to ruin it for everyone. The only option remaining, being participation.

And he is also still pretty tired due to searching for literally any signs of Hajime in the surrounding streets of Hope's Peak, for numerous nights, without any decent break. He does not need that much of sleep as normal people though, but his tiredness is more of a mental nature. The thing that makes it ever worse is the fact, that he did not find anything related to his disappearance. 

He "interrogated" a lot of people, especially criminals. But no one ever heard about him. He initially came up with few theories. One being that he was kidnapped by someone. Probably the one that would make most sense. But if he was kidnapped, the reasons for it would be probably for ransom, but no one contacted his family. The there was idea that he was taken for his... organs. But that would mean that he would be already dead. And that someone would find a body. Or at least traces. There was also no possible chance that literally NO ONE in the streets would know about some high school student being taken. 

Then there was theory that he left on his own. But for what reason? And how did he do it that no one noticed and that no one can find him now? Minimal chance that this is actually the case. So... to where did he disappear?

And that is when that thought has finally entered Rei's mind. What if.... he never left the school in the first place? What if he is somewhere there? Not sure if alive or dead, but Rei hoped alive. He remembers how principal told him about this Steering Committee and their intrigues. Maybe they... did something to him. Rei has never met or saw them and he also has no idea where are they situated. Nor he has an actual clue about their participation in Hajime's disappearance. The whole thing about them, is just a hunch Rei has. So the only thing he can do is to lay low and try to get some information regarding these guys. It frustrates him that it is progressing extremely slowly, but there is nothing he can do. 

Without any other thoughts, Rei got himself ready and headed to class.

-Hope's Peak Academy hallway-

As Rei is walking by through the hallway of his school, just "auto-piloting" his body towards his classroom while being mostly lost in thoughts, he can suddenly hear some voices not far away from him. It is a female voice, shouting something, and a male voice, seeming trying to calm her down. He immediately tenses up and tries to recognize those voices, as he is walking in their direction. 

After few seconds walking, he arrives to the "crime scene". On the ground, there are several soda cans and multiple types of sweets laying on the ground. Mostly macarons. The female voice, turned out to belong to a girl(obviously) that is of short stature, while wearing a pink furry coat and a yellowish beanie with also yellowish shorts. The one she was shouting at, turned out to be his classmate, Nagito Komaeda, who has been held by his collar against a wall by another boy, that was mostly silent, so Rei learned of his presence just now. The boy had blond hair, while wearing a red badass trench coat, that would be worn by some edgy anime character. Actually his whole appearance screamed edge. His boots, pants and fingerless gloves.